Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ammonia level spike out suddenlt

Beaned

Reaction score
For Christmas, I got a thing of marimo balls, about six in total. I read through their instructions a cleaned them excessively by rinsing them in cold water as the instructions suggested. I have no idea if the two are related or not (which is why I'm posting about this) but I did an ammonia test about three days after I added them because I had just cycled some of the water out and wanted to check how it was doing. My last ammonia test prior to the marimo balls was 0 ppm and the most recent one was 2 ppm. I panicked and did another water change with the tank and let it run for two days and I tested it again. It did drop from 2ppm to only 1ppm but I know that's still very unhealthy for the axolotls. I don't know if this is linked with marimo balls or with something else. I've been making sure to clean up their food they didn't eat along with any debris and I've been cleaning and changing their filters regularly. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I take them out of the tank until it's dropped enough. The tank definitely isn't new, I got a bigger tank in November and I had it running without the axolotls for 14 days. Sorry if I'm ranting I'm just a little worried about it all.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
For Christmas, I got a thing of marimo balls, about six in total. I read through their instructions a cleaned them excessively by rinsing them in cold water as the instructions suggested. I have no idea if the two are related or not (which is why I'm posting about this) but I did an ammonia test about three days after I added them because I had just cycled some of the water out and wanted to check how it was doing. My last ammonia test prior to the marimo balls was 0 ppm and the most recent one was 2 ppm. I panicked and did another water change with the tank and let it run for two days and I tested it again. It did drop from 2ppm to only 1ppm but I know that's still very unhealthy for the axolotls. I don't know if this is linked with marimo balls or with something else. I've been making sure to clean up their food they didn't eat along with any debris and I've been cleaning and changing their filters regularly. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I take them out of the tank until it's dropped enough. The tank definitely isn't new, I got a bigger tank in November and I had it running without the axolotls for 14 days. Sorry if I'm ranting I'm just a little worried about it all.
The marimo balls should not cause any issue like that if they were rinsed properly before being added. What are you other water parameters reading? Nitrites and Nitrates. Size tank? and how often are you doing water changes?

Beaned

Reaction score
This is the reading on one of the test strips I use mainly for pH
pH is at 7.5
nitrite and nitrate are both 0.5 ppm
General hardness is 180 ppm
Carbonate hardness is 240 ppm
I also add a few drops of tap water conditioner since I don't have any other reliable source besides my tap. The axolotls seem to be doing good with this as this is what they've been in for nearly two years now. I try to do water changes every 4-6 days with them where I clean the filter and any debris in the tank as best I can. I don't know if what I feed them could be an issue as well but I alternate between giving them sinking carnivore pellets (3 each) and I cut up some worms into small bits for them to eat every 2-3 days. A while back I was recommended to feed them less like this because they were getting massive and eating alot. I don't know if this has an effect on ammonia levels but I thought I'd add it just in case.

Beaned

Reaction score
The marimo balls should not cause any issue like that if they were rinsed properly before being added. What are you other water parameters reading? Nitrites and Nitrates. Size tank? and how often are you doing water changes?
I wrote this and responded on thursday but I wasn't sure if you had seen it or not. The issue is still the same and the water measures haven't changed

pH is at 7.5
I also add a few drops of tap water conditioner since I don't have any other reliable source besides my tap. The axolotls seem to be doing good with this as this is what they've been in for nearly two years now. I try to do water changes every 4-6 days with them where I clean the filter and any debris in the tank as best I can. I don't know if what I feed them could be an issue as well but I alternate between giving them sinking carnivore pellets (3 each) and I cut up some worms into small bits for them to eat every 2-3 days. A while back I was recommended to feed them less like this because they were getting massive and eating alot. I don't know if this has an effect on ammonia levels but I thought I'd add it just in case.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
I wrote this and responded on thursday but I wasn't sure if you had seen it or not. The issue is still the same and the water measures haven't changed

pH is at 7.5
I did not see it so thank you for reposting again. If your tank has been established for a couple years, you should not be having significant ammonia issues since you would have the nitrifying bacteria to break it down. So somewhere in your routine, I suspect you may be inadvertenly killing your bacteria. When you say you "clean your filter", what exactly are you doing to it?

Beaned

Reaction score
I did not see it so thank you for reposting again. If your tank has been established for a couple years, you should not be having significant ammonia issues since you would have the nitrifying bacteria to break it down. So somewhere in your routine, I suspect you may be inadvertenly killing your bacteria. When you say you "clean your filter", what exactly are you doing to it?
I have the bio bag filters so what I'll do is replace them with every other water change. I have the disassembled ones with charcoal, the filter pad, a green frame, and a little water clarifying tablet. I normally get the Whisper bio bags and they don't have the tablets, it was only with a panic buy because I realized I didn't have any filters that I bought the Tetra brand ones with the water clarifying tablet I change the filter with every two water changes and I take the pipe that reaches into the water and remove any debris off of it so that it won't clog. Other than that I'll use a paper towel to wipe the sides of the glass near the top of the tank. Other than that I don't add any cleaner solution or anything like that besides the water conditioner. This is a very recent spike and the only thing that has changed is that I've had two new "structures" added to the tank (a castle and a hobbit hole) which I cleaned of any dust or debris and rinsed under warm water.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
I have the bio bag filters so what I'll do is replace them with every other water change. I have the disassembled ones with charcoal, the filter pad, a green frame, and a little water clarifying tablet. I normally get the Whisper bio bags and they don't have the tablets, it was only with a panic buy because I realized I didn't have any filters that I bought the Tetra brand ones with the water clarifying tablet I change the filter with every two water changes and I take the pipe that reaches into the water and remove any debris off of it so that it won't clog. Other than that I'll use a paper towel to wipe the sides of the glass near the top of the tank. Other than that I don't add any cleaner solution or anything like that besides the water conditioner. This is a very recent spike and the only thing that has changed is that I've had two new "structures" added to the tank (a castle and a hobbit hole) which I cleaned of any dust or debris and rinsed under warm water.
Do you have sand or anything in the tank? Do you ever take the decor out when you clean? Do your new decor pieces have holes in them? (like to allow air out so they sink). I know these may seem like silly questions but bare with me. Also, generally you don't need to replace your filter media but maybe once a month. When you do your water change, just rinse the cartridge real well in the tank water you've removed (dont use tap water to rinse) and then put it back in the filter. It'll save you a ton of money in filter media and it actually helps keep your bacteria happier.

Beaned

Reaction score
Do you have sand or anything in the tank? Do you ever take the decor out when you clean? Do your new decor pieces have holes in them? (like to allow air out so they sink). I know these may seem like silly questions but bare with me. Also, generally you don't need to replace your filter media but maybe once a month. When you do your water change, just rinse the cartridge real well in the tank water you've removed (dont use tap water to rinse) and then put it back in the filter. It'll save you a ton of money in filter media and it actually helps keep your bacteria happier.
I used to have sand in the tank but when I switched to a bigger tank in November, I left the sand out because it was a pain to clean and manage. I don't take the decor out when I clean the tank or the filter. Also, what should I rinse the filter with if not tap water? Should I be using distilled water or something like it?

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
I used to have sand in the tank but when I switched to a bigger tank in November, I left the sand out because it was a pain to clean and manage. I don't take the decor out when I clean the tank or the filter. Also, what should I rinse the filter with if not tap water? Should I be using distilled water or something like it?
No, use the dirty tank water you just removed from the tank. So when you do a water change, set aside a bucket of the water you just took out and use that to rinse the filter pad.

Beaned

Reaction score
Ok. Sorry I also forgot to answer the other question, yes there are holes in both of them and I made sure to let the air pockets out before placing them down. (the hobbit hole is hollow so they can sit inside it but the wholes in the castle are too small for either of them)

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
Ok. Sorry I also forgot to answer the other question, yes there are holes in both of them and I made sure to let the air pockets out before placing them down. (the hobbit hole is hollow so they can sit inside it but the wholes in the castle are too small for either of them)
Sometimes if the actual structure is hollow (not just normal swimming area, but like the plastic is hollow instead of solid so there are holes in the bottom to allow air out), debris can get up inside it and cause ammonia issues. Ive seen it happen many times. If the decor is solid plastic, then that's not an issue.

Beaned

Reaction score
Sometimes if the actual structure is hollow (not just normal swimming area, but like the plastic is hollow instead of solid so there are holes in the bottom to allow air out), debris can get up inside it and cause ammonia issues. Ive seen it happen many times. If the decor is solid plastic, then that's not an issue.
I believe the decor is something like ceramic, but I'll make sure to check them for debris just to be safe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!