Ammonia spike

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey, so it’s been a while. Last week I was super stressed out with finals and forgot about my Axolotls water change. So, I did the water test today and the ammonia was at 8ppm? Naturally I freaked out and rushed into a rather large water change and found a bunch of hidden dirt and poop particles in a plant in her tank. She’s acting normal and eating and swimming around like she normally does, which makes me think it wasn’t high for long. She seems totally fine, all her parameters are good now after 2 water changes. First I did a roughly 50%-70% water change, saw the ammonia was still at 1.00-2ppm and did another 15% water change. She’s currently begging for worms as normal, no ammonia burns I can see and her gills are normal and healthy. I cleared out all the dirt and feel bad, it was totally my mistake. I’m going on vacation in a couple of days, will everything be okay? I’ll probably do another water change the day before we leave.

image.jpg

The levels today, I added some more prime and will test later again. It hasn’t been a full 24 hrs so don’t wanna freak out, ammonia is naturally in our tap water so usually I add extra prime and wait for it to get sorted out. Will update later!

The levels last night, still roughly the same so I’m going to do a water change today. Any help would be appreciated, our vacation is edging closer and I need advice.
CCABED3C-E296-4CF8-9F64-07D6653D1F44.jpeg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back