Ammonia

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Aaron
Anyone know good ways of lowering ammonia, its around 0.25-0.5 and I've been doing daily 25(or a little more)% water changes daily, and the water hasn't tested any better. The inhabitants don't seem stressed at all, the only time they've left the water was at night when all the lights were off, which I've seen them do only once.

Forgot to mention that all the other parameters were fine, except ammonia. And the animals don't seem to be effected by it, and I would like to keep them as healthy as possible. Ive been doing around 30-40% water changes everyday, but still haven't seen a change, if anything it looks like its a little higher than it was before.

Forgot to mention that all the other parameters were fine, except ammonia. And the animals don't seem to be effected by it, and I would like to keep them as healthy as possible. Ive been doing around 30-40% water changes everyday, but still haven't seen a change, if anything it looks like its a little higher than it was before.

Although it is far from ideal, a 60% or 2/3 water change stay sort it out, when filling it up it would be better to use rainwater or water that has been standing for 24hrs.
Good luck.
Stuart

Although it is far from ideal, a 60% or 2/3 water change stay sort it out, when filling it up it would be better to use rainwater or water that has been standing for 24hrs.
Good luck.
Stuart

I believe that the water here contains chloramines so that I wouldn't be able to just do that, unless you want me to use dechlorinator and then wait a day after that before using it, and it hasn't rained in a while, it kinda depressing

I guess I'll just continue with the daily water changes and see if it eventually comes around, ill also be testing my tap water as well.
As for the newts, they're still behaving normally and have big appetites.
For some reason whenever I use turtle docks, whatever animal I'm keeping, tries to squeeze itself through the back, even though they're too big to fit through, I worry about everything way more than I should.

It's probably their 'big appetites' that are causing the ammonia levels. In a newly stocked tank, even if its been up and running for a while, it will still have to cycle. You need to back off with the feeding for now, just give them the bare minimum for a few weeks until the biofilm starts to build up.

It's probably their 'big appetites' that are causing the ammonia levels. In a newly stocked tank, even if its been up and running for a while, it will still have to cycle. You need to back off with the feeding for now, just give them the bare minimum for a few weeks until the biofilm starts to build up.

Alright, whats your definition of the bare minimum when it comes to food? So far they've been getting a mix of chopped worm and frozen bloodworm every couple days.

Twice a week should be plenty really. It's not like they're tiny morphs that need feeding every day.
Having said that, if you don't mind doing the water changes while the tank cycles, every couple of days is fine. The amount of ammonia produced is proportional to the amount of protein they consume, that's all I meant.

Just tested the water(dechlorinated) before I put it in the tank, and it has about the same level of ammonia as the tank water

Just tested the water(dechlorinated) before I put it in the tank, and it has about the same level of ammonia as the tank water

Are you certain your test kit is working properly?
If the kit is giving a falsely high reading, it would explain why the newts are behaving normally.

Are you certain your test kit is working properly?
If the kit is giving a falsely high reading, it would explain why the newts are behaving normally.

Its possible I guess, but I tested my H. orientalis tank for ammonia last week and it came up as 0, but it is a somewhat old test kit I guess

Here in the UK we can request a breakdown of all the chemicals present in our tap water from the water company and also to be notified of anything extra that they add for whatever reason. It might be worth a phone call or email? Surely there wouldn't be ammonia in drinking water, would there?

Here in the UK we can request a breakdown of all the chemicals present in our tap water from the water company and also to be notified of anything extra that they add for whatever reason. It might be worth a phone call or email? Surely there wouldn't be ammonia in drinking water, would there?

I'll probably do that sometime after school, do you think it would be worth cleaning out the bucket incase there's anything on the sides of the bucket?

I would get another test kit, or re test the H. orientalis tank to see if you still get zero. I've had kits in the past where it was hard to get an absolute zero reading, even when I've known my water is perfect. I think it was Sera brand ones, but don't quote me on it. Once you're sure the test kit is working you can at least rule it out.

To see if the test kit is the problem you can buy bottled water and test that. If a bottled of Poland Springs tests positive for ammonia then you know the kit is no good.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back