Amphibian, anuran, caecilian, caudate, gymnophiona, salamander, salienta, urodela (in CC amphib glossary)

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joseph S
Definitions for these terms here.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Amphibian: An animal or species that is a member of a group of vertebrate animals called Class Amphibia. The three groups within Amphibia are: [Anura] (frogs), [Caudata] (salamanders), and [Caecilia] (rubber eels).

Urodela/urodele: see [caudate].

Caudata/caudate: Another name for Urodela/urodele. Caudata or Urodela is the scientific name for the [salamanders].

Salamander: the general term for all caudates, a group of animals that includes the newts, sirens, amphiumas, mudpuppies, waterdogs, olms, hellbenders, etc.

Anura/anuran: The frogs and toads.

Caecilia/caecilian: A poorly-known group of amphibians, common name "rubber eels".

Abrahm

Reaction score
Country
United States
We might as well put the synonyms for caecillians (gymnophiona and apoda) and anurans (salienta) while we are at it.

I think we should mention that caudate means tailed.

As for amphibian, I hate recursive definitions so I was trying to expand that definition.

Amphibian: All living tetrapods (four-legged vertebrate animals) that possess a larval stage, lack protective membranes around the egg, are [ectotherms] and generally spend part of their time on land.

(the characteristics of larval stage and absense of egg membranes are related to amphibians lacking amniotic eggs)

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good comments, Abrahm. Here's a compilation of everything we have up to this point:

Amphibian: All living tetrapods (four-legged vertebrate animals) that possess a larval stage, lack protective membranes around the egg, are [ectotherms] and generally spend part of their time on land. The three groups within Amphibia are: [Anura] (frogs), [Caudata] (salamanders), and [Caecilia] (rubber eels).

Urodela/urodele: [caudate].

Caudata/caudate: Caudata or Urodela is the scientific name for the [salamanders]. The word caudate means "tail", as these [amphibians] possess a tail throughout their life.

Salamander: the general term for all caudates, a group of animals that includes the newts, sirens, amphiumas, mudpuppies, waterdogs, olms, hellbenders, etc.

Anura/anuran: The frogs and toads. The word "anuran" means "without tail", as these [amphibians] lack a tail in adulthood.

Caecilia/caecilian: A poorly-known group of amphibians, also known as "rubber eels".

Apoda: [caecilian].

Gymnophiona: [caecilian].

Salienta: another term for [anuran].

flyangler18

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jason Konopinski
Caecilia/caecilian: A poorly-known group of amphibians, also known as "rubber eels".

The vernacular 'rubber eel' refers to one species in particular, Typhlonectes natans, as it is the most commonly seen caecilian in the trade. I've seen 'Sicilian eel' and 'Sicilian worm' (obvious bastardizations of 'caecilian') on some fish lists.

Jason

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • blubford:
    you should probably take it to the vet
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    so that dumb salamander state to state import bill didnt pass i take it right
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    havent heard news about it in a good while
    +1
    Unlike
  • wnorman293:
    Hi, how do you delete a post?
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you dont
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    just kidding but i think there should be an option for it on your profile mabye
    +1
    Unlike
  • ipsoslolly:
    Hi guys my axolotl has not used his back legs since late Tuesday night,is this normal . He back half keeps floating up the way
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    that doesnt sound good
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Is it normal for my axie to eat every day? He’s overly hungry 😛
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dr. Phil:
    I'm new here but do I detect a bit of sarcasm in these comments? Ya'll sound like a fine bunch to me!
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    oh yes we’re all very sarcastic
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    My son and I have been looking for a water dog/tiger salamander for quite some time now with no luck has anybody know how or where to find any
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    @axolotl nerd, where can I find waterdogs or tiger salamanders my son has wanted one for a long time and I've been searching high and low with no luck
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    @Jokerjay, its a good idea to tell people where you are from. This is an international group. I have eastern tigers, im in the uk.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    @Jokerjay, as in water dogs do you mean axolotls? i suggest very heavy research and a fully cycled tank before even considering purchasing one
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Axolotls are amazing until they get sick and then they’re a pain in the backside to treat - I recently lost two axolotls due to unknown causes
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Anyone from the us? Looking for at least one or two axolotls for me and my son to have our own at-home project together.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    i highly recommend “buyanaxolotl.com”- ive purchased from them and received a beautiful animal for relatively cheap, in great condition, and excellent shipping precautions. the breeders are a couple living in georgia (i believe, don’t quite remember) and they’re fantastic. sometimes their website contact page doesn’t work, so i’d probably try just emailing them. good luck and happy hunting!
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    do those aquarium fans work well for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sheryl Fraser:
    My little guy got stuck in the filter yesterday. His back leg is red. Will this heal
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Z-One has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Any recommendations on a water chiller for a 10gallon but will work for a 20gal when I decide to upgrade?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinc Tank:
    Anybody working with and breeding Salamandra salamandra salamandra?
    +2
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    heh
    +1
    Unlike
  • Alexmcc:
    Hi all I'm new here I'm just looking some advise on cycle witch is currently driving me insane . So we are week 8 I'm dosing daily with 4pp of amonia and for the last week has been dropping to zero witch I no is good. But my question is my nitrites are sitting at between 0.50 and 1.0 PM and nitrates are between 10 and 20 and neither of these seem to be dropping. I have done 2 40% water changes a few days ago and no change the only thing I can think of is I didnt use the seachem stability stuff which I have now ordered but surely that shouldn't have much difference this far into cycling
    +1
    Unlike
    Alexmcc: Hi all I'm new here I'm just looking some advise on cycle witch is currently driving me insane ... +1