Aneides species ID question

pete

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Pete
I recently moved not far from my old apartment to a nice cottage in Menlo Park, CA with a nice garden. This weekend I flipped a few stones in the garden and found two Aneides. The were both juveniles and mostly black. Although, when look at the photos that I took of the lighter-colored salamander, it has some reds on the side. However, my current camera also tends to falsely emphasize reds my images.

They were darker than any lugubris that I've ever seen so far. However, I don't think I'm far enough south to be in the Santa Cruz flavipunctatus region. Possibly, I'm in the northern most extreme of its region.

So I was looking for any Aneides expert (Russ...) to give me an opinion as to what they are. Thanks.

Attachments

pete

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Pete
Too far north. I'm south of San Francisco and north of Santa Cruz.

rust

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Russ Cormack
You are within range of niger, and the head shape in the second pic is niger/flavish, but I'm going to go with lugubris based of the color and speckling. Are all three pics the same animal?

pete

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Pete
All three of the original photos are of the same animal. The other guy was a little smaller and more fussy for photographing. Attached is the only photo I got that is worth showing.... Perhaps, I'll have to do some more searching and see if I can find an adult.

Thanks for the opinion.

Attachments

pete

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Pete
Update

Since initially posted it got too dry and I never saw any more caudates in the garden. However, it's been quite cool and wet lately, so I grabbed my camera, flipped a few pots, stones, and tacky lawn ornament and started taking pictures. It turns out that the yard is a salamander haven. I found about 11 adult Aneides and too many Batrachoseps to count with little effort. I'm guessing that it's lugubris, but they're a bit smaller and darker from the lugubris that I used to catch around Berkeley. Whatever, it was a fun afternoon realizing my cottage is guarded by an army of caudates. I tried not to disturb them too much.

Attachments

rust

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Russ Cormack
Yes, they're lugubris. I think I've crossed the line between envy and jealousy, LOL! That's beats keeping them in shoe-boxes any day.

otolith

Reaction score
Country
United States
definitely Aneides lugubris, they live in the woodpiles in our garden as well.

supergrappler

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Skeeter
Gorgeous! Nice to see our native species thrive this way! :smile:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AlexisJG:
    As long as they don’t seem stressed that’s good and I mean hey if their well fed maybe they’ll live long happy lives together.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    oh ya they are happy xD every time i come in to my room my Koy betta is like HI HI HI and actively swimming around
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nerodia1:
    Děkuji za přijetí. Hledám tohoto obojživelníka, Typhlonectes compressicauda, nevíte, kde ho získat, nejlépe někde v Evropě.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Caudex has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    VEEK has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    My axie is acting woerd he was a rescue as stated in a different post he got better and now seems to be deteriorating again...again all tank conditions are OK and as should be. He seems to have some black dapple like pattern under his bottom lip? Is that normal? And his two back feet have a little wierd growth? Almost? Tiny tiny tiny lump. His capillaries in his feathers also appear darker and more visible. Any help would be appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hes a leucistic axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AmphibiGirl has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dibgame:
    Hey guys. First time on this forum and im not sure what formatting i should use but hey here i go.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    Hi! I'm being in a hard position where I have to re-home my axolotls. I'm moving out and I would like to find them a new home with someone who can take proper care of them
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    I have an adult wild type and a juvenile leucistc
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • BigAl:
    Oops my bad accidentally sent that
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    @HalfDrunkToastLol
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    is anyone online???
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    Are you still here
    +1
    Unlike
  • ZayneSantos:
    Is there anyone on who can give me advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Max2445:
    @ZayneSantos, What advice do you need
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    based on this video what type of salamander might this larva be? I suspect either eastern newt or spotted salamander
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    help appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    they are from missouri
    +1
    Unlike
    KrabzAga: they are from missouri +1