Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aneides species ID question

pete

Reaction score
I recently moved not far from my old apartment to a nice cottage in Menlo Park, CA with a nice garden. This weekend I flipped a few stones in the garden and found two Aneides. The were both juveniles and mostly black. Although, when look at the photos that I took of the lighter-colored salamander, it has some reds on the side. However, my current camera also tends to falsely emphasize reds my images.

They were darker than any lugubris that I've ever seen so far. However, I don't think I'm far enough south to be in the Santa Cruz flavipunctatus region. Possibly, I'm in the northern most extreme of its region.

So I was looking for any Aneides expert (Russ...) to give me an opinion as to what they are. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN3600.jpg
    DSCN3600.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 422
  • DSCN3604.jpg
    DSCN3604.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 346
  • DSCN3606.jpg
    DSCN3606.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 343

pete

Reaction score
Too far north. I'm south of San Francisco and north of Santa Cruz.

rust

Reaction score
You are within range of niger, and the head shape in the second pic is niger/flavish, but I'm going to go with lugubris based of the color and speckling. Are all three pics the same animal?

pete

Reaction score
All three of the original photos are of the same animal. The other guy was a little smaller and more fussy for photographing. Attached is the only photo I got that is worth showing.... Perhaps, I'll have to do some more searching and see if I can find an adult.

Thanks for the opinion.

Attachments

• DSCN3607.jpg
    DSCN3607.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 302

pete

Reaction score
Update

Since initially posted it got too dry and I never saw any more caudates in the garden. However, it's been quite cool and wet lately, so I grabbed my camera, flipped a few pots, stones, and tacky lawn ornament and started taking pictures. It turns out that the yard is a salamander haven. I found about 11 adult Aneides and too many Batrachoseps to count with little effort. I'm guessing that it's lugubris, but they're a bit smaller and darker from the lugubris that I used to catch around Berkeley. Whatever, it was a fun afternoon realizing my cottage is guarded by an army of caudates. I tried not to disturb them too much.

Attachments

• PC115760.jpg
    PC115760.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 324
  • PC115762.jpg
    PC115762.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 280
  • PC115763.jpg
    PC115763.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 286
  • PC115768.jpg
    PC115768.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 295
  • PC115771.jpg
    PC115771.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 306
  • PC115776.jpg
    PC115776.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 289
  • PC115784.jpg
    PC115784.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 290
  • PC115785.jpg
    PC115785.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 322

rust

Reaction score
Yes, they're lugubris. I think I've crossed the line between envy and jealousy, LOL! That's beats keeping them in shoe-boxes any day.

otolith

Reaction score
definitely Aneides lugubris, they live in the woodpiles in our garden as well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1