Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Animal Kingdom book

Steve B

Reaction score
Can any of you biology/science folks tell me a good textbook style book about the animal kingdom the starts at phylum and breaks it all the way down to genus and species giving scientific data as to why each one is in the catagory it is in. I am searching for as book that has every phylum, order,class, family etc and gives characteristics for each one. It doesn't have to get deep into it, just a nice intro that helps someone begin to grasp how it all ties together. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Is this still the leader for amphibians?
Biology of Amphibians
by William Edward Duellman

FrogEyes

Reaction score
That's a great book, but for what you're asking it's both outdated and not an ideal source to begin with.

There are NO standards for taxonomic ranks. There are rules about how they should be named, spelled, etc, but zero standards for content. Above "species", all taxa are more or less arbitrary. They are nothing more than names for groups of related organisms. In principle, each higher rank is just a collection of all the related ranks below it. There is nothing to prevent a genus being converted to a phylum, and in fact there are several examples of genera being gradually raised to family status or higher.

Species and subspecies are different, since they are defined more or less by their population evolution and reproductive status. In fact, the definition of species is identical to the definition of subspecies, and there are a variety of "species concepts" which are used to identify species status for a population of organisms.

If you want specifics on how various animal taxa are defined, I don't think you will find it in a single work. Even for amphibians alone you would likely need to search through dozens of papers, and work out for yourself the points on which they differ.

Even in terms of the the accepted ranks, there is no absolute standard. The ICZN has a set of ranks which it governs and which fit within the "standard" set. Phylocode uses a slightly different set. Most biologists at some point also use taxa which are NOT included in the Code, simply because there is so much variety to life that the "standard" ranks are not sufficient on their own to keep everything organized. Standard ranks are generally supplemented with "Super-" [or "Supra-"], "Sub-", and "Infra-", to add ranks between the accepted ones. There are also more vague collections like "group", "cohort", "complex", "semi-", and the recently formalized "exerge" [between species and subspecies].

The basic original terms are Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species. Above Kingdom, Domain has been added. Below Family, Tribe has been added. The number of informal ranks is great. Wikipedia provides good coverage on this. See also Taxa & Ranks | International Commission on Zoological Nomenclature

Another huge obstacle to a master list of taxa and their traits, is two-fold. First, there is a great deal of ongoing flux, with the content and rank of many groups in a state of constant revision. Second, since ranks are arbitrary, one author's genus is another author's unranked superfamilial clade [eg., Terrarana, containing up to five families for frogs formerly placed mainly in genus Eleutherodactylus].

I try to keep up with amphibian taxonomy above the level of species, but even so I simply can't adequately address every bit of new data. The rubber frogs, Phrynomantis, have recently been treated as a distinct subfamily [Phrynomerinae] of the Microhylidae. Others have raised them to family as Phrynomeridae. The latest data seems to move Phrynomerus to possibly a position within the New World microhylids, presumably as Gastrophryninae or Gastrophrynidae. Increasingly, clades above the rank of genus are defined largely by genetic data, and not by some specific data, but by a collection of data which are more or less in common, on average.

Among amphibians, at the family level, most current taxa are at least partly defined by reproductive methods, morphology, and geographic distribution. There is a significant component of "isn't part of X, Y, or Z".

jane1187

Reaction score
Are you talking about the WHOLE animal kingdom? There is no book that states the whole animal kingdom taxonomically, it is too large. Your best bet is an encyclopedia of whatever animal group you are looking into (mammals, birds, etc), but even then theya re unlikely to list ALL species.

There is a project to list, taxonomically, all of the species in the world, it is called the tree of life project and this is their webpage Tree of Life Web Project. You can search through there at your leisure. As far as I'm aware it is still under constant construction, so don't be surprised if there are ommissions.

And as previously pointed out, taxonomy is ever changing, with animals being re-classified all of the time.

Steve B

Reaction score
Thank you all very much the info.I really appreciate the help.

I guess I maybe should narrow it down to phylum Chordata, and subphylum Vertebrata. I just want it to tell basic stuff like what makes a fish a fish by definition, or what makes a marsupial a marsupial. Really basic characteristics that make an animal fall into each of the order, class , familiy etc...I don't want like comprehensive info for each listing, just basic characteristics.
Is that still too broad for the whole kingdom, or is even going to the phylum level still to big to put in one book?

Thank you so much! :happy:

TylototritonGuy

Reaction score
Like the other said, your talking about a pretty big kingdom after all and maybe still a little bit too big lol most Encyclopedias cover everything as much as they can do without having to span about 45,000 pages! lol I have a few but this one is alright :)

The Encyclopedia of Animals

It has drawings rather than actual photos which I find annoying but it is pretty good for what it is and explains the stuff that your wanting to find out :) I have had mine for a few years now! For the amphibian side of it, its actually quite good, doesnt list everything though. There is a book that i know a local vet of mine has that is worth a hell of a lot of money containing nearly most Reptiles, Amphibians and Invertebrates but i can never find it :/

Steve B

Reaction score

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Unfortunately, while ToL is great, it is also frequently in conflict with other major endeavors, both philosophically and in terms of results.

Even when restricting the list to vertebrates, it's difficult to get a stable and more or less universal taxonomy above the level of genus. Frogs have recently jumped [pardon the pun] to roughly 80 families, Some authorities would reduce that to 50 or fewer. Caecilians have been all over the map, from five families to three to nine to five to ten. Salamanders have been pretty stable at the family level, apart from recognition of Dicamptodontidae, but subfamilies and ranks above family have been constantly reworked.

Now expand these issues to all other vertebrate taxa. I recognize classes Reptilia, Eusuchia, Chelonia, and Aves. Others would treat these all as Reptilia. A case has been made for living amphibians being composed of what are in effect two classes rather than one. Fishes were split into multiple classes decades ago, and I think they were recently split again. At and above family level, I doubt there has been any major vertebrate group which has NOT recently been revised or shuffled [see also the recently named clades Africanura and Afrotheria for unexpected groupings of respectively, African frog and mammal families].

IF you can find a list such as you are looking for, I can virtually guarantee it will be controversial and outdated. You may come closest by searching a university bookstore for a required course text on vertebrate taxonomy. You may also simply search online for such, and look for the most recent original publishing date.

Here's a quick overview [see the second page]
http://faculty.camosun.ca/annettedehalt/files/2011/01/4a-Reptiles-I1.pdf
Note that the position of turtles changes greatly from study to study, and some studies also split the amphibians in two, placing them in different locations.

Many higher taxa now are defined almost entirely cladistically. That means the only criterion for membership is shared exclusive ancestry. The latter is determined not by having specific shared features, but by having an overall highest average similarity. Much of that similarity is normally genetic. It may no longer be possible to allocate an animal to a family by looking at it and evaluating certain key features, unless you look at enough features to identify the genus, at which point the family is known simply by association.

Here is another set of recent reviews of animal taxonomy, but it is highly incomplete and certainly doesn't include a fraction of what is being sought. It is heavily referenced and has a lot of informative comments:
Animal biodiversity: An outline of higher-level classification and survey of taxonomic richness; Zootaxa 3148

Steve B

Reaction score
Thank you very much Frog Eyes...I guess my search for such a book ends here. At least I didn't spend alot of time looking for one. (only an hour or two now) I guess since they started classifying by the RNA duplication process, things will never be the same. The links you provided are great! Would you happen to have the amphibian PP in the format of the top link?

I guess I just will not be able to study the kingdom in a manner that I am accustomed to. (Like human anatomy)
You knowledge has been very useful. Thank you for taking the time to type all that info.

Steve B

Reaction score
Is the scientific world at least in agreement that there are 5 classes of vertebrates?

FrogEyes

Reaction score
No. Fishes alone account for about five classes, and reptiles between one and four. Amphibians are one or two, and mammals one. Birds don't get a class of their own, as they are dinosaurs, which means dinosaurs are either class Aves, or birds are class Reptilia along with dinosaurs and other traditional reptiles.

At a minimum, there are now eight to twelve living vertebrate classes.

These splits are necessitated because basically, birds are reptiles with feathers, mammals are reptiles with mammary glands and hair, reptiles as a whole are amphibians with amniotic eggs, modern amphibians are scaleless amphibians, amphibians as a whole are lobe-finned fish with toes, lobe-fins are bony fishes with...lobed fins, bony fish are cartilaginous fish with bone, etc etc. You can't have equal ranks nested within one another, which means you have to split up parallel branches into equal ranks instead. Technically, even that breaks down at many points in the fossil record, as the branches come closer to their shared origins and have fewer differences. The ranks only become distinct when the intermediates become extinct.

Would you happen to have the amphibian PP in the format of the top link?

Not sure what you mean, but they are covered in a separate pdf document in that last link. Frost et al, and Pyron and Wiens, as modified by a small stack of more specific papers and as discussed in a related thread, are the best sources.

I just remembered that I started writing a thread specifically on amphibian taxonomy and revisions...apparently I have neither finished nor posted that yet :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1