Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Another new home for my Cynops pyrrhogaster.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the first threads I made when I joined the forum was about setting up a tank for my three pyrrhos.

Http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...tc/92023-new-home-my-cynops-pyrrhogaster.html

Well, my group of three pyrrhos has become seven and things were starting to get crowded. I always swear I won't be keeping any more of their offspring, but I always do, so I decided to get them a bigger tank as well as one for my Alpines and another ready for when my Sword tails are mature.

I had the tanks custom made with black silicone to my measurements by Wharf aquatics and they've done a brilliant job, I would certainly recommend them to anybody for custom tanks and their shop is fantastic.

The biggest tank is 50 gallons and although the other two look small, they are 20 gallons each.
It was a major job swapping all the plants, sand, water, shrimp and newts over to their new tanks, but now its done I'm really happy with them. I was sorry to have to tear down my pyrrho tank because it was the first planted tank I'd had and it did really well, but hopefully the new tank will be similar once the plants get hold and start growing.

The newts seem happy with their new neighbourhood and have gone into full on breeding mode again, the pyrrhos are bright blue and the Alpines aren't even a year old yet, but they're already laying fertile eggs! The tank for the Sword tails is still empty at the moment as they're still terrestrial, but I think I might make it a shallow semi aquatic tank soon and see if I can persuade them to go back in the water.

Attachments

• SAM_9370.jpg
    SAM_9370.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 776
  • SAM_9372.jpg
    SAM_9372.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 464
  • SAM_9452.jpg
    SAM_9452.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 537
  • SAM_9433 (1).jpg
    SAM_9433 (1).jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 487
  • SAM_9451.jpg
    SAM_9451.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 527
  • SAM_9453.jpg
    SAM_9453.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 509
  • SAM_9418.jpg
    SAM_9418.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 530
  • SAM_9416.jpg
    SAM_9416.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 523

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Beautiful tank and newts! I was about to ask for an update on the Pyrrhogaster pride parade thread, but this works nicely! ;)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! :) They're fascinating creatures and very underrated. The usual assumption is they're still very common in the hobby like they were years ago, but they're actually quite rare these days.

Last edited:

mroconno

Reaction score
Love the tank. What kind of sand do you use? For cleaning do you just siphon the sand? I keep my C. pyrrogaster in bare bottom tanks with drift wood hides and java moss currently but want to put together something nice like your set-up. Thanks for the advice.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's just kid's play sand, I like using it because it's usually pretty clean straight out the bag and just needs a few rinses before it's ready to use. To keep it clean I just use a regular gravel cleaner, you just need to avoid sucking too much sand up at once and blocking the hose.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!