Illness/Sickness: Another Newt Missing a Limb - Desperately need help

frogenjoyer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

One week ago I noticed one of my three marbled newts (each is 2 years old) was missing a limb and had died fairly abruptly. I thought it was bitten off in a fight with a tankmate and became infected, but today I noticed another newt missing their limb, but this time they are alive, alert, and able to walk. I quickly removed the newt and placed them in dirt quarantine in the fridge. Judging from previous posts, it appears to be limb rot. I have read all of the posts including the Caudata Culture Health and Behavior FAQ guide. The entire limb is missing and the fuzzy, white growth is emanating from the spot where their leg should be. I am not feeling very optimistic about saving my newt, but I'm going to try my hardest. I also want to be able to save the third, who appears entirely healthy at the moment aside from a possible swollen hind leg, and prevent the same from happening to them. There are many conflicting messages on the forum about what to do at specific stages of this illness. Which of the salt bath, OTC ointment, or vet-prescribed ointment is the right choice for the sick newt? What about for the ostensibly healthy newt?

This began when they started spending more time in the water portion of the enclosure. Admittedly, I now realize I was not taking proper care of the water element. I replaced the water 100% each week, but leaf litter, substrate, and dead crickets often found their way into the bowl, fouling it up and I didn't clean it thoroughly enough, sadly. I should have replaced the bowl sooner, which is what I've done now to prevent this from happening in the future. What should be done about the vivarium they live in? Will replacing the water bowl fix this issue? Do I need to start a new enclosure?

I am hoping someone can offer some clear advice from experience to help me save my pets that mean a great deal to me. I would greatly appreciate any assistance as I am in a bit of a panic.

Thank you,
Matt

I don't know what ailment your T. marmoratus has, but one piece of advice I was given that I follow for mine is to keep humidity low. People think that because these are amphibians, they need dart-frog levels of humidity when infact their native range is more grassy and open. Heck, as you have seen before, your newts skin is hydrophobic (water beads on it). These guys really dont like water and I see mine get in their bowl once a weak. What may prevent your last marbled newt from getting sick is to mist or run a fogger much less. if they start to dry out, they will soak in the dish and then leave.

Also is your substrate bioactive? Is it water logged? Consider completely replacing it and let it run dry, it sounds like it is septic.

Are you able to post a picture of the enclosure?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back