Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anti-mite chemical

merk199

Reaction score
I am looking to get the chemical that is sprayed around the FF cultures to keep mites out. I have used mite paper in the past with mixed success. I can't find the name of the active ingriediant. Does anyone know. Google the term anti-mite....Apparently there is a mite epidemic going on.....:D

Ed

Reaction score
If you don't want to use the spray there are some things you can do to prevent or minimize the outbreaks.
One of the easiest is to keep the cultures in a tray of water. Personally I keep cultures that are older than three weeks seperate from the newer cultures. In addition, I microwave the cultures when I make them until they are really hot to kill off any grain mites that are in the media. Many outbreaks are from grain mites wich are going to be in virtually all non-sterilized starch based foods.
If you want to make your own mite paper you can get the mite spray used in snake cages and spray in on newspaper in an area far away from your amphibians and use it after it dries.

Ed

merk199

Reaction score
I thought about the keeping in a tray of water but that seemed to simple. What is the name of the spray?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!