Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Any advice for herping?

shanerules

Reaction score
I herp at least once a week and search for salamanders. newts, tree frogs every time and i never find any, i flip logs, rocks and check ponds... nothing. so i was wondering. what advice does anybody have to help increase my chances of finding any of the species im interested in studying? if it helps at all im from midwestern Missouri, figured that might help with the climate issues maybe?

Nathan

Reaction score
You've got to go where the herps are, when they're out.

If you want frogs, go out at night or after rain so you can find them by their calls. Different frogs call in different seasons and from different habitats, so check wooded and field ponds, riverbanks, swamps, and temporary wetlands, any time from mid winter to late summer. Gray treefrogs should be calling right now, from almost any pond, lake, swamp, sluggish stream, or even water-filled gutter or ditch. A flashlight and patience will let you find calling males.

Terrestrial salamanders are easiest to find when it's relatively mild. If its too cold, too hot, or too dry they retreat underground. If it's very wet they often go out foraging, which increases the chances of a random encounter but decreases the chances of finding them under stones and logs. Rocky wooded slopes, bluffs, and areas near streams and springs are often best.

Streamside salamanders are less affected by the weather. Look for streams too small or intermittent to have populations of large predatory fish. Springs are often productive. The best cover objects to turn are moderate-sized objects that cross the dry land/water boundary.

The pond-breeding Ambystoma species usually come to the ponds in late fall and winter, during rains. Drive along roads at night and you can often see large numbers crossing to their breeding pond. Minnow traps left out overnight can also catch large numbers; just be sure to set the traps late and collect them early to prevent salamander deaths. Winter-breeding frogs, overwintering tadpoles, and newts can also be caught at this time.

shanerules

Reaction score
thanks for all the help nathan! i plan on going out tomarrow to check the vernal pond near my house for A. Tigrinum larvae. there are normally 100's of them ut no adults ever lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1