Any Idea What These Morphs Are?

Tye

Reaction score
Country
United States
My local pet store got a new batch of axolotls in, they get them from various local breeders.
I've never seen this color before though, I was thinking "lilac"? All of them were this pale grey color, or with grey spotting. One seemed maybe like a copper but I just couldn't tell. All had dark eyes.
Another question, all the smaller ones were missing their left gills, all three gills and just on that side. I wondered if it was genetic? The staff on hand weren't there the day they were brought in so they didn't know if they came like that or not. One suggested that they were attacked, since axies of this age tend to bite. I said it was a bit weird that it was the same side on all of them, every gill, I couldn't even spot a stalk nub. The larger one had all six gills.

Attachments

• 20220602_191025.jpg
    20220602_191025.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 867
  • 20220602_191012.jpg
    20220602_191012.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 107
  • 20220602_191017.jpg
    20220602_191017.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 100
I'd guess axanthic. For the gills question, it COULD be genetic since axolotls are extremely inbred and problems like this come up often with people who irresponsibly breed them without caring about how the babies will turn out. It could also be that they're cannibals each other, but I agree, it seemes suspicious that they all have the same problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back