Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone find Tylototriton shanjing to be "MEAN"?

S

steve

I have two Tylototriton shanjing and one "recently" started to hide in the moss alot. When I was feeding both of them, the one that always hides under its log tried to bite the "moss hider" twice. The "moss hider" then took another worm and went hiding between a log and the water dish.

Is this a sign of a male/female thing or is that normal?

*Just wondering. Its hard to tell what sex i have.

N

nate

That's not being mean, that's just a normal response to food. At feeding time, many newts and sals get excited and begin to snap at whatever is moving, including other newts.

S

steve

was wondering though , since one hides alot, does it help with identifying the sex?

S

steve

i know, but thats the one thing i was never good at: sexing a newt/sallie

steve

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1