Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone get newts from sand fire dragon ranch?

Aquaticjade

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing 4 newts from sand fire dragon ranch. The total cost with shipping is $450 which is a lot of money. Has anyone bought newts from them in the past? Just wanted some backup opinions before I go and drop the $$$. Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Finchop1

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing 4 newts from sand fire dragon ranch. The total cost with shipping is $450 which is a lot of money. Has anyone bought newts from them in the past? Just wanted some backup opinions before I go and drop the $$$. Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
Six weeks ago I bought 8 N. kaiseri from Sandfiredragon ranch. They are exquisite! Very happy with the newts. Shipping container professional. Would not hesitate to do business with them in the future if they have what I am interested in.
Have fun! Steve

Aquaticjade

Reaction score
Six weeks ago I bought 8 N. kaiseri from Sandfiredragon ranch. They are exquisite! Very happy with the newts. Shipping container professional. Would not hesitate to do business with them in the future if they have what I am interested in.
Have fun! Steve
Thank you so much....that's actually the species I was going to purchase!! Is that a fair price for them nowadays? I could only find threads from like 2009-13 on the pricing for them, back then members were saying anything more than 30-60 per juvie was outrageous. I'm sure the new ban proposal isn't helping with the price inflation.

Herpin Man

Reaction score
I have not. However, I can tell you that Bob has been breeding herps for a long time- he is one of the pioneers of the hobby. If I was in the market for the species he is offering, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.

Aquaticjade

Reaction score
I have not. However, I can tell you that Bob has been breeding herps for a long time- he is one of the pioneers of the hobby. If I was in the market for the species he is offering, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.
That's good news. I was unsure because I realized they would come from a much bigger facility than your average home hobbyist. I'm definitely going to snatch some up in that case! He's been very great with corresponding to me thus far and seems like a nice guy!

Finchop1

Reaction score
Thank you so much....that's actually the species I was going to purchase!! Is that a fair price for them nowadays? I could only find threads from like 2009-13 on the pricing for them, back then members were saying anything more than 30-60 per juvie was outrageous. I'm sure the new ban proposal isn't helping with the price inflation.
Due to the 2016 ban on importation of non native amphibians the pricing structure that was in place has changed. Wild caught animals be they newts, tropical fish or birds (finches) are sold cheaply as they are caught in mass quantities. Domestic bred animals cost more as they cost more to produce. If the price of N. kaiseri was $30 - 60 before the ban a price of $100 - 120 seems pretty reasonable. Have to agree with Herpin Man - Bob from Sandfiredragon ranch is a treasure for the hobby.

chicco

Reaction score
Not that it's super important to the topic of the thread, however, I believe it's Jay Sommers running SFDR now.

Aquaticjade

Reaction score
Just to update, moved my danube cresteds from QT into their permanent 20L paludarium....to make room for the 4 kaisers arriving Wednesday :) I did end up getting them from SFDR so I will let you all know how they come in! For now they will have a bare bottom 10 gal with ancharis and a sponge filter and cork bark float while I plan out another palu build for them to be completed sometime around Christmas.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1