Anyone keep NA spring peepers?

Bill B

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
amphibianizer
I'm looking forward to spring here in Michigan when the peepers start peeping. Anyone keep them? Any special tips?

I keep them like any other tree frog, just cooler. Be forewarned, they like to call in captivity.....ALOT!

I can vouch for their talkative nature. My Peeper calls several times a day, and it can be deafening! Still a joy.

The best time to collect is mid to late summer. Collecting during breeding season isn't advisable since they may still breed in captivity (unless you're prepared to take care of the young), and it's very stressful on them physically since they may not eat or rest as much. It's also a matter of ethics to let them do their breeding before you decide to adopt one.

They like to have vegetation to climb on, since they do act quite a bit like Tree Frogs. Mine typically prefers vegetation about 6-8 inches high. It's nice to have a water source about mid-way to that height so they are more likely to use it. It's important to have a secure habitat, since they may try to climb out.

I feed them Drosophila fruit flies during the months were I can't collect food, but I also keep them on hand in case insects of a good size aren't that available. I feed them once a week.

Excellent video Cassie, I especially like your calls at the end :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back