Anyone know what these are jn ny acolotl tank?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been waiting for these 2 to mate and idk if the eggs hatched or if I am dealing with something else. I have not seen anything on the plants.

Attachments

• 20221013_234113.jpg
    20221013_234113.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 417
  • 20221013_234101.jpg
    20221013_234101.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20221014_000814.mp4
    35.6 MB
Hi,
Looks like female cyclops with thir 2 eggs sacks

They are not dangerous.
Small caudates larvae eat them but adults axolotls usually ignore them except if there are a lot

I have been waiting for these 2 to mate and idk if the eggs hatched or if I am dealing with something else. I have not seen anything on the plants.
i think they look like zooplankton or some other micro-organism. couldn't be sure though, and @JM29 is more or less an expert in my opinion.

I agree with you, axolotl nerd (for the zooplancton).
Cyclops (order Copepoda) are part of the zooplancton

I agree with you, axolotl nerd (for the zooplancton).
Cyclops (order Copepoda) are part of the zooplancton
oh!! sorry it's been quite a long time since i've visited the fourms, i guess i'm rusty!!
thanks for the clarification :)

I second that they are some sort of microorganism. My first thought was detritus worms which are also harmless to the tank but are considered aquarium pests. Whatever they are, they may have likely tagged along on an insufficiently quarantined aquarium plant. They can be sucked out of the tank with a gravel vacuum, but otherwise, as others have stated, are harmless.

looks like copepods or some other sort of similar organism. I second everyone above, they aren’t harmful and usually mean you have a stable and healthy tank. I had them in my tank after it properly cycled. You can suck them up and remove them, or leave them (they will usually only come out for a short period and then return below the substrate). My solution was ghost shrimp (my axi appreciated my solution also as she ate some of the slow ones)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back