Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anyone raised sea slaters (Ligia sp.)?

Nathan

Reaction score
I'm on the coast right now, and sea slaters, AKA wharf roaches (Ligia exotica) are quite common. These are large (1-1.5" long), fast moving isopods. They mainly hang out above the water line on jetties and docks, but will crawl into saltwater with little hesitation. I think they would make an interesting alternative to crickets and roaches if they will breed reasonably well in captivity. They may be too salty for use as a regular feeder for terrestrial and freshwater animals, but would at least work as an occasional treat, and would be great for brackish and saltwater invertivores. Also, their apparent need for saltwater habitats would make them a safe feeder in inland areas, as escapees are unlikely to establish themselves.

So, has anyone here tried raising them?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I personally don´t think they are suitable for caudates, like any other salt water food source. Osmosis is vital for amphibians...i don´t see how including salt water foods in their diet cannot cause problems.

Have you considered Asellus aquaticus? Basically the same thing, except fresh water. Excellent choice nutritionally, and rich in carotenes. Very easily cultured too.

Nathan

Reaction score
You are right, they would not be suitable for caudates, and I should have specified that I do not intend them for that use. Rather, I want to offer them to various fish, turtles, and invertebrates. I ask here because there are a lot of knowledgeable feeder-raisers here.

I have not specifically attempted to raise freshwater isopods, but I did have some nice big Caecidotea sp. living in one of my scud colonies for a while. I might give them a shot in the fall.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
I've never had a chance to culture FW isopods...but they seem like they would be excellent.

As for Ligia-the few people who have tried have had trouble keeping them alive in captivity. Not sure what is going on they seem like they'd be relatively undemanding. But I haven't observed many creatures eating them in the wild despite swarms of them running on rocks-so I doubt they are very palatable.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!