Anyone use Baby Tears (Soleirolia soleirolii)?

MasSalvaje

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am always looking for new plants to use in Salamandra setups and wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with baby tears (Soleirolia soleirolii)? I know they are often used in decorative pots and terrariums, but do they do well with animals present? These are the terrestrial baby tears which are different than the dwarf baby tears used by aquarium hobbyists (Hemianthus callitrichoides I believe). Has anyone had any success or failure with this plant?

Thanks for the help,

-Thomas Wilder

Absolutely love this plant. I love that it spreads quickly, very easy to propagate, is tolerant of varying light quality and soil types and that it's ok wet or dry. There are several shades these days but bare in mind the lighter green plants have a lower cholorophyl density and do require better light quality.

I love selaginella too. Looks good and is very tough and forgiving.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selaginella

For a more open growth which my mantellas like I grow maranta. There are several species but I go with Prayer Plants, How to Grow and Care for a Maranta Prayer Plant - Garden Helper, Gardening Questions and Answers
It is very forgiving too. Doesn't mind low light or bright light, prefers wetter than drier and doesn't mind things crawling over it.

Love plants. Good luck with yours.

I will try this in my paludarium when its finished. Will let you know

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back