Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aqaurium Wall For Newts

justin

Reaction score
<font face="times new roman,times,roman"></font>I have two fire belly newts and i want to make a wall so that i can rise the water higher and stack the little rocks to the rim on the other side so they can swim to the top and crawl on dry land, right now i only have about 3 inches deep water and then dry land, i want about 4-5 so it doesnt need to be much higher, I've seen plastic walls but none for my size tank (10 gal).. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks}}

M

mark

what about getting small strips of slate and laying them on top of each other. if you get thin long strips and lay them on top of each other until they are at the top of the tank.
you may want to stick them together, use proper aquarium silicone stuff. and only stick rock to rock don't stick the slate to the glass unless you want to completely keep it like that.

S

sharon

Penn Plax has a ledge, cliff and cave system. You can buy sets or individual pieces. I've got most of them.

But wish me luck please! I'm going to try one of those DIY internet ideas regarding expanding foam to make "aquarium walls" vs terrarium walls.

I've got the stacked slate thing going on but its HEAVY! I need a lightweight stackable and rackable method so I reduce the weight of these tanks for a shelving unit.

It does look good though. I stacked black slate on black rounded river rock in a bare bottom tank and dropped live and silk plants all around, they look wonderful!

Sharon

jessica

Reaction score
Hey Sharon
What about the legos idea for the lightweight stacking thing?

S

sharon

Hi Jessica, I like the lego thing, its cute, fun and creative, but 1. My kids are still using their legos, and 2. I like the natural look, hence all the slate and "live" and silk plants in my tanks.

Thanks for thinking of me though!

Sharon

J

jennifer

In shallow setups, I use Legos to hold up the slate or bricks or rocks. If you use black ones, they are virtually invisible. By putting the rocks on Legos, it prevents the blackworms from having a place to hide (easier eating for the newts).

S

sharon

Now thats an idea, legos would be flat - therefore sturdier too......

Sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1