Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

aqua-terrarium build

blake_diehl

Reaction score
shortyg

i used greatstuff insulating foam
shortyg

a rubber hose for a waterfall
shortyg

some rocks
shortyg

brown silicone and gravel, i covered the whole thing, this picture is just the start
shortyg

then attach the filter to the hose, added a bunch of moss, (its the packaged moss but i'll get live stuff when the weather is better)
shortyg

all i need are some water plants. then eventually my california newts will go in.
shortyg

blake_diehl

Reaction score
sorry to double-post but how do i get the actual images to show? i used img code...

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are 2 methods for getting the actual photos to show up in the thread:
(1) When you post a thread, click the "go advanced" and look for the "manage attachments" option, where you can upload images.
(2) Go to the Gallery section of the forum, and find the "upload" button and upload them to the appropriate section of the gallery. Then when you post a thread, you can choose them from the "images" menu (below the smilies).

tomthlee

Reaction score
Gorgeous set-up. Here's how to post images:

- Scroll down to see your photos.
- Underneath each photo is IMG code at the very bottom with a box beside it. Click inside the box and the text will automatically highlight and copy itself to your clipboard (you can hit edit copy or ctrl+c to be sure, but it's redundant).
- Come into the Caudata forum and paste the image code. It should appear as such:

133_4150.jpg

I would do it for you but I am not sure if I'm allowed to post someone else's photos. I understand that the rules are a bit more strict here regarding photos.

coendeurloo

Reaction score
Very niceley done Blake, in the future you could apply a layer of black silicone on the glass before applying the foam, so you won't see the yellow foam on the back if neccesary.

blake_diehl

Reaction score
yes, your paludarium seems to be quite famous around here. :) it was the inspiration for mine... i thought about using silicone on the glass but the tank is oddly shaped so it fits in a corner, so no one would ever be able to see the back so i just didnt bother

ravenous

Reaction score
I see the plastic tibing but how did you get the waterfall going? Is it a filter? Is the tank filtered?

Looks cool! I had wanted to do something like this but I like the tank to be as full as possible with water.

blake_diehl

Reaction score
The tubing is attached to a Fluval 1 filter. Its just basically a sponge inside there, so i took it out and cut the foam into 3 sections and replaced the middle section with a mesh bag of activated carbon. its a good way to have chemical filtration without having to put a giant filter in that makes a lot of current. the newts aren't big fans of current and the waterfall helps diffuse it. its also a good way to keep the humidity up, though it does make the water level drop quickly due to evaporation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1