Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aquarium lids

RobM

Reaction score
Hey,
I have a new aquarium coming this week and an external filter. I will need to create a lid for it so was just wondering how everyone goes about theirs?
How do you make your aquarium screen lids? How do you get pipes and wires through without leaving escape routes? anything else?

:)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I make all my lids with wood and mesh. I cut the pieces of wood from a bar to fit as neatly as possible with the plastic rim of my tanks (not all brands have these, so adjust to your particular kind of tank). Then i put some nails for stability and staple the connecting areas of wood, to create a resistant frame. I then cut a sheet of wire or fiberglass mesh and staple it to the frame (i always try to place each staple close to one another to create a more or less constant line and avoid gaps).
If you need to run cables or even a part of the external filter through the lid, you can either adjust the shape of the lid, make holes in the external perimeter of the lid to pass the cables through (always making sure they fit neatly), or even cut the mesh, run through the gap what needs to be run, and then saw the cut together again to avoid leaving any dangerous spaces.

RobM

Reaction score
Do you ever have problems with the wood swelling due to the moisture?

Last edited by a moderator:

luspin

Banned
Reaction score
A few days ago I filled my new Juwel Vision 180 aquarium up the line and turned on the pump. When I went to put some decorations in the aquarium last night I noticed that the underside of the Hood/Lid, to include the lighting, was soaking wet.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!