Aquarium Plant Identifications...

Carl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I ordered some plants/cuttings from eBay (Last Trading Post) but I don't know what they are or what conditions they will like or even where I should plant them in the tank (back, middle, front) :(:confused:

This is a somewhat list of the plants they send and I specifically asked for low light plants as obviously there's no light in my tank (going to be an axi tank)...

What species are included? Species typically included are: Bacopa monniera Bacopa, Cabomba caroliniana Cabomba, Ceratopteris thalicroides Water Sprite, Echinodorus amazonicus Ruffled Sword Plant, Echinodorus bleheri Amazon Sword Plant, Egeria densa Pondweed, Egeria najas Ditchweed, Hygrophila corymbosa Hygro/Stricta, Hygrophila polysperma, Hygrophila difformis Water Wisteria, Lagarosiphon major Anacharis, Limnophila sessiliflora Ambulia, Ludwigia repens Ludwigia, Rotala rotundifolia, Sagittaria subulata, Shinnersia rivularis Mexican Oak Leaf Plant, Vallisneria nana Narrowleaf/Dwarf Vallis, Vallisneria spiralis Common (Straight) Vallis and MANY more.

I realise I'm asking allot with some of these photo's but even rough guesses even on how to plant would be nice:uhoh:

Attachments

• IMGP1360.JPG
    IMGP1360.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 436
  • IMGP1362.JPG
    IMGP1362.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 298
  • IMGP1364.JPG
    IMGP1364.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 274
  • IMGP1359.JPG
    IMGP1359.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 808
  • IMGP1361.JPG
    IMGP1361.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 324
  • IMGP1363.JPG
    IMGP1363.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 624
Used to be good at this but havent really had a planted tank for half a decade now so... I will have a go...
Starting from top left going to right and then down

Bacopa monnieri
Egeria densa aka elodea
Ludwigia repens perhaps, doubtful
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Egeria densa aka elodea
Sagittara subulata

Ah you had a species list there....duh
The Echindorus then instead of the Cryptocoryne perhaps... I might very well be wrong check out the names on tropica and see for yourself. Tropica Aquarium Plants - Plant list A-Z

I have kept all of these except for the Echinodorus perhaps I did keep a red variant of C.wendtii though:D

A friend from the gardening forum I frequent came up with these:eek:

No1 bacopa
No2 Ergeria
No3 Hygrophylla Polysperma
No4 Cryptocorine spp
No5 Ergeria
No6 Vallisneria

what do you think? it seems quite simmilar to yours which is reassuring:D what do you think of the light requirements for these?

Hey Vallisneria is easy to identify when you put in water the leaves will twist a bit, while Sagittaria leaves are straight. No 6 looks more like Sagitt imo but go ahead and submerse it.
Yeah I was considering polysperma but they tend to have elongated leaves that go all the way to the stem, see the tropica link. I have seen a lot of ludwigas labeled as hygrophila.
Tropica have caresheets for all these species check em out. All of these are relatively easy and no HC:D But they really only look good under proper light imo.

Remember there are color morphs of most species so ignore colour and concentrate on stem and leaf proportions, divisons and shape.

proper lighting being at least .5 watt of light per litre of water, no more than .75w per litre unless you add co2 or excel... keep it on for 9h or so. Remember that any light sorce should be 5k plus kelvin ie not an ordinary bulb( 3k kelvin, as plants have trouble absorb this light efficiently}.
Under those conditions most plants will thrive. Of course lower light works but the plants will grow much slower, most important is not to use ordinary bulb, you can get 6.5k Kelvin(sunlight} bulbs on the cheap;)

Well it's going to be an Axolotl tank and there quite sensitive about light... will they definitely need a grow light?

the leaves on number six are dead straight so I think you have it;)

hah, just realised that I completely ignored your first post, except the pics, in my rush home from work...

In my experience though, with no light I find that all these plants barely survive and most go brown in a few months. Sunlight goes a long way in keeping them alive. No 4 and no 6 will need more light than the rest here in my experience..

Java fern, Microsorum pteropus ftw! It survives anything and is very beautiful, esp version "narrow" imo, I like my Anubias barteri var "nana", it has survived in a box for 3 years for me ehehe, not that it has grown much... It is a slow grower but sturdy and very resilient as long as you keep algae off its leaves, java moss Taxiphyllum barbieri survives and sometimes even grows under low light(can be a pain though cause it adsorbs filth and tend to move around and get stuck everywhere}. The fast growers that you have are excellent at consuming nitrates, but they really like the light to do their job well.

Why cant axies stand the light... I know nothing about axies, I would presume that light would cause them to hide just like a normal day in mexico would, no....nothing wrong with that is there... plants are prettier than axies anyway ehehehe:eek:

Why cant axies stand the light... I know nothing about axies, I would presume that light would cause them to hide just like a normal day in mexico would, no....nothing wrong with that is there... plants are prettier than axies anyway ehehehe:eek:

I've no idea I'm quite new to them but they can get quite stressed with high light intensity I assume it's because naturally they live in deeper water which is quite murky?:confused: I couldn't possibly comment on plants being prettier then axies although I am a trained Horticulturist so maybe I shouldd be more biest:D

Oh I know I am going to suffer for those comments:uhoh: I feel the pain already:sad:

Horticulturist...wow..I love plants, my flat is overrun with them...I just found this really nice fern but I have failed to identify it, could you perhaps take a look....:D

Horticulturist...wow..I love plants, my flat is overrun with them...I just found this really nice fern but I have failed to identify it, could you perhaps take a look....:D

Sure I make no guarantees to an Identification though:p if I don't know I'm sure I can find someone who does:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back