Aquarium setup pictures needed!

M

matt

I need several high quality images and videos of terrestrial, aquatic, and simi-aquatic aquarium setups to create a new setup page for www.caudata.org.

To give you an idea of the type of pictures I need take a look at the current page.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/setups.shtml

If the files are too large to post on the forum please send them to files@dellpower.com. This account can hold up to 100MB

By uploading to this post or e-mail you agree to let caudata.org and partner sites to use any uploaded images.

Thanks!

Allright, thanks for the email. I uploaded some pics on my personal web server to save the bandwith ;) Anyway, I'll start off with my first setup. I made this one for some T. Vulgaris in their aquatic state, during the breeding time. At the time I didn't know it was illegal to keep them here in Holland, so I released them as soon as there was some rain here. (They would certainly die if I'd release them in the dry summer this year, with no ponds that still contained water nearby)

Aquarium1.jpg

Pretty basic setup and self explanatory, gravel as soil, some java ferns etc. as plants.

Aquarium2.jpg

The large tank for my T. Marmoratus adults
happy.gif
They are doing very well in here. Gravel for waterplants as underwater soil, normal gravel and special swamp-dirt (?) as soil for the plants on land. Divided by a large amount of flagstones, which looks amazing! When I'll clean the tank completely, there will probably be a glass divider so the water remains stable, even though this seems to work fine too
happy.gif

Aquarium3.jpg

My juvenile marmoratus setup. Because they are still pretty small I keep them in this setup to make feeding and monitoring them easier. in the back on the right you see a piece of apple to attract the fruitflies. The marmoratus know this
happy.gif
I also feed them small worms

Lovely photos Coen - thanks for sharing. Why is everyone worried about bandwidth? Bandwidth and server space are two things I'm not worried about :p.

Me too! Looks great Coen. What size tank is the long one? Was it cutom made?

It's 1.55 Cm, and I bought it very cheap (80 euro's) I don't know if it's custom made though, but I don't think so, because of the matching woodwork surrounding it.

Thanks for the pictures / I hope to get around 50+ images total so tell others you know of with nice setups about this post

I also need pictures of egg/larva setups

Hey folks! Lots of you SAY they want to help Caudata Culture. Here's your chance to put your pictures where you mouth is!

Matt is going to make an awesome new/revised article with pictures of newt and sal setups. Lets have some more pictures! I know there are more out there. They don't all have to be gorgeous setups - some pictures of simple ones are useful too!

Be sure to tell Matt what species is housed in it, and how large the tank or container is (gallons, liters, inches, or cm).

Thank you to Coen for getting things started!

If anyone previously posted pictures of setups on the forum that you can contribute, send the URL to Matt.

This tank houses 8 juvenile Cynops ensicauda. It's a 10-gallon tank (40 liters). Because it has no filter, it must be cleaned daily.

9590.jpg

40x40cm, low plastic box for 5 Salamandra subadults.
9594.jpg

60x40x50cm aquarium for 4 Paramesotriton adults.
9595.jpg

40x40 cm setup for 8 Triturus adults in terrestrial stage.
9596.jpg

just some old setups:

-ensicauda tank:
60X35X30 cm housing one adult pair and some juveniles. almost no gravel on the bottom, only large smooth rocks
plants: Elodea densa, Ceratophyllum demersum and Fontinalis antipyretica
9603.jpg

-45X25X30 cm tank housing three subadults of Pleurodeles waltl (now they are adults a larger tank) with powerhead filter. plants: Ceratophyllum demersum, Criptocoryne sp. and unknown species.
9604.jpg

-35X20X20 cm plastic tank housing 5 juveniles Triturus marmoratus. it was a semiaquatic setup, with two "pots" with moss as islands and about 2,5cm of water with some ceratophyllum branches...now the juveniles are larger and are in a similar (but larger and with more water) setup.
9605.jpg

Hi, and congratulations for the new caudataculture.
I will contribute with my studio setup. This setup is a kind of a whim, it is a decoration point in my studio and also an ideal setup for breeding and monitoring species. Every year I clear and adapt the setup to house a different specie which I want to breed, monitor, photograph and record.
All the other setups that I have are much more simple but I reckon that people will also appreciate information on more complex and bigger setups.
It is an aquaterrarium which maximise water space and land space. The measures are 140x60x70 cm, it has a undergravel filter, an exterior biomechanical filter and a refrigerator which can drop temperatures up to 2Cº in winter.
The aquarium is built using climalit glass, 2 separate glasses with an air camera, which permits to recreate a microclimate. Moreover, it keeps the aquarium isolated from temperatures, sounds…and there is no need to worry about inconvenient condensations due to temperature contrasts. The land area is an independent glass platform. I used all the available space for water and more than half of the aquarium is for terrestrial setup. The dwellers enjoy the ‘water cave area’, under the terrestrial area, which is always dark and works like a obscure place. The land area is made of volcanic gravel, on top there is a plastic net which supports the carbon which works as a neutralizer of toxins, then another layer with a plastic net and finally the compost layer with all the plants, rocks, moss…I also put two tubs in different places on the terrestrial platform which I used to take away the extra water. The lighting system is control with 4 different timers one for each fluorescent. Those create a light period intensity that varies in every season. One of the fluorescent is ‘moonlight’ for the very first and last light of the day.
Best greetings
P.S:I will email you Matt with the pics in better resolution
9627.jpg
s

Tylotriton verrucosus setup:
9685.jpg
\
60x45x40cm tank, small air-driven box filter, fine sand substrate, maintained at 20-25C.
Planted with Java fern, Java moss, hornwort and Salvinia. Bogwood and hornwort provide haul-out points which the animals use frequently:
9686.jpg

Here are pictures of my two tanks. They're a bit pale (too much light, I think), but you can see everything.

This is the 10g that housed my young pair of pleurodeles. Natural 1/4"-1/2" rocks, TONS of live plants (most of which are floating), and a MicroClean filter. These guys now live in a 20g-Long, but I don't have a picture of that. It's pretty much the same setup, but I have a Fluval internal filter in it, with a hose that runs from the outflow valve into a feeding-bowl full of rocks to eliminate current (Jenn's idea!) The big pale rock is a hunk of Rose Quartz, which absolutely *sparkles* in the plant-light. To the left is a black plant basket, and just to the left of it, you can see Steve.
9728.jpg

This is my 46gL, which houses my pair of taricha granulosa (which are mating in the picture). I keep about 35-40g of water in it. All the plants are live. At the time of the photo, I had just clipped them all back, so it looks a little bare in there.
9729.jpg

This is my old setup, which housed a P. hongkongenisis. 10 gal, submersible pump, river rock substrate, slate and other rocks for climbing, as well as a grapevine (which eventually molded, not recomended).
10069.jpg

I've changed the tank around since this picture was taken to accomidate my new juvie pyrroghastor since the passing of my hongkongenisis. I will try to get pics of the new set up soon!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back