Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aquatic or Semi-Aquatic or Terrestrial?

Aquatic, Semi-Aquatic, or Terrestrial?

• Aquatic

Votes: 100 61.7%
  • Semi-Aquatic

Votes: 38 23.5%
  • Terrestrial

Votes: 24 14.8%

• Total voters

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Tough choice, but probably terrestrial. For me they're easier to feed and maintain, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy an enclosure with Alpine newts or some other semi-aquatic or aquatic newt :happy:

ndbug

Reaction score
I'd have to say Semi-Aquatic would have to be my favorite! I enjoy building vivariums that are half land half water alot more than fully aquatic. Plus watching them prance around the land and as well as swimming around is very entertaining imo xD

SeraphimSept

Reaction score
I prefer aquatic, as that is the majority of what I have kept and I love aquascaping, but I would love to someday set up an interesting semi-aquatic vivarium.

sde

Reaction score
I like all, but I tend to prefer terrestrial. Easier maintenance in my opinion and I can do more with the tank. With aquatic setups it takes a lot more effort to make a nice looking tank with a background and such. All my aquatic tanks are just sand, plants, and water. Whereas terrestrial I can build underground areas, plant with ferns and mosses, create hills or diverts and such, position logs and bark in certain ways, etc. Semi aquatic setups are just kind of annoying though, to me.

speckles

Reaction score
when i had my tiger salamander i had a terrestrial set up and he was relatively easy to care for. i also had an axolotl and he was easy to care for too just needed water changes weekly and keep an eye on water parameters. when i had speckles the tiger salamander he would bury himself in the dirt and just stay there while the axolotl moved and swam and chases worms halves

KittyKatMe

Reaction score
My favorite species to keep have been pipids and axolotls. I think that's mostly because they're not finicky eaters at all and it's much easier to see them. They tend to be much more active as well. I like dart frogs for those same reasons, though they are much more difficult to provide for and for me (someone terrible at DIY), building a viv was a nightmare.

ParkourMexican

Reaction score
I house an ambystoma mavortium nebulosum in a 20 gallon long and I have the little guy's habitat set up of roughly 20% aquatic and 80% terrestrial. It makes for a more natural habitat (I think) that way he can choose where to spend his time. and I can say from the 3 years that I've had him that he prefers to be in the water when not hibernating.

Semi-Aquatic is also more interesting to look at in my opinion as well.

Rhacodactylus1

Reaction score
I prefer terrestrial species. Desmognathus, Ambystoma and Notophalmus are what I'm keeping right now, and it's been a blast. I've dealt with some finicky Plethodon species, but I'd love to get my hands on an Ensatina or Aneides lugubris, which aren't native of course.

MnGuy

Reaction score
I have three alpine newts that basically spend all of their time underwater. I've seen the female on land a few times. (I have two large pieces of hollow cork stuffed with moss and plants wedged in two corners.) The two males don't venture out of the water, but they also still have their gills. However, I've read that that subspecies I have are mostly aquatic.

I guess I'm drawn to aquatic amphibians because I started as and am still an avid aquarist, so it was a natural transition. And the aquatic newts seem to be more visible than say, land-based salamanders who hide a lot. BUT, I'm only going off what I've read.

It'd be interesting to keep a tiger salamander or some eastern newts at some point.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1