Are aquarium plant fertilizers newt safe?

AidanD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Aidan
I’m planning to do an aquascape with either Cynops species or T. dobrogicus. Many aquascapers recommend liquid fertilizers for the benefit of the plants, though I do not know if they are safe for amphibians. The brand I plan to buy is considered fish and invertebrate safe, but amphibians are not specified.

E. Sylvanus

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would tend to avoid fertilizers. Most of them contain iron, and as I understand it, amphibians can be sensitive to metals, so I’ve never taken the risk. The only thing I add to my tank is a small amount of CO2 (gas, not the liquid kind). Beyond that, my newt does a pretty good job of fertilizing the plants for me.

Are you looking at growing something in particular that requires fertilizer?

AidanD

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Aidan
Nothing that would need it per say, though I’m planning on using sand, so the more nutrition I can provide the plants, the better.

E. Sylvanus

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve heard that some people use organic (no pesticide/fertilizer) potting soil under the sand in their tanks to give the plants a boost. I’ve never tried it, though I am considering it for a future project. Do use caution with some plant species, though. Java ferns, for one, don’t like to be buried much if at all (they get nutrients through their leaves, and the roots are just to anchor them).

Some plants I’ve had success with without fertilizer are Java fern, cryptocoryne, anubias, and “lucky bamboo”. More recently, I have been trying out asian liverwort (sometimes called pellia) and water sprite. Both of those are doing well so far, but then again, I’ve only had them for a couple weeks.

As far as I can tell, good lighting and possibly CO2 (depending on your plant choices) seem to be more important than adding fertilizer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AlexisJG:
    As long as they don’t seem stressed that’s good and I mean hey if their well fed maybe they’ll live long happy lives together.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    oh ya they are happy xD every time i come in to my room my Koy betta is like HI HI HI and actively swimming around
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nerodia1:
    Děkuji za přijetí. Hledám tohoto obojživelníka, Typhlonectes compressicauda, nevíte, kde ho získat, nejlépe někde v Evropě.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Caudex has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    VEEK has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    My axie is acting woerd he was a rescue as stated in a different post he got better and now seems to be deteriorating again...again all tank conditions are OK and as should be. He seems to have some black dapple like pattern under his bottom lip? Is that normal? And his two back feet have a little wierd growth? Almost? Tiny tiny tiny lump. His capillaries in his feathers also appear darker and more visible. Any help would be appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hes a leucistic axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AmphibiGirl has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dibgame:
    Hey guys. First time on this forum and im not sure what formatting i should use but hey here i go.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    Hi! I'm being in a hard position where I have to re-home my axolotls. I'm moving out and I would like to find them a new home with someone who can take proper care of them
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    I have an adult wild type and a juvenile leucistc
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • BigAl:
    Oops my bad accidentally sent that
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    @HalfDrunkToastLol
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    is anyone online???
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    Are you still here
    +1
    Unlike
  • ZayneSantos:
    Is there anyone on who can give me advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Max2445:
    @ZayneSantos, What advice do you need
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    based on this video what type of salamander might this larva be? I suspect either eastern newt or spotted salamander
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    help appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    they are from missouri
    +1
    Unlike
    KrabzAga: they are from missouri +1