Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are axies the world’s most inactive pet?

Kate1018

Reaction score
I bought a pair from a private party. Maybe a year old. Have the old tank and equipment, so same habitat. All they do is sit on the bottom in the sand or hide in their little caves. Only saw them swim a few times, briefly. Good parameters per API. Low light, cold:65F.

WaterLily05

Reaction score
Axolotls are known to be rather inactive. They just... chill. This is why a 10 inch adult can do well in a 20 gallon long tank. When I first got mine, I was worried because he rarely moved, even though he was on a good diet, had cool clean water, and plenty of space. Turns out it’s just how they are!

Kate1018

Reaction score
Do pets actually get that big? Or is it a possibility under ideal conditions in a Mexican lake on top of some mountain?

WaterLily05

Reaction score
Do pets actually get that big? Or is it a possibility under ideal conditions in a Mexican lake on top of some mountain?
I believe the average is 9 inches, though they can be 8 to 12 inches. I spoke with someone over on the aquarium forum I’m on and they said their axolotl got to be 17 inches long and as thick around as an infant’s arm!

WaterLily05

Reaction score
Wow! That’s huge! He was a giant among axies. Did he have a dolphin tank from Sea World?🤣🤣
Pretty sure it was a 20 gallon long. A 40 gallon breeder size would’ve been better! Would love to see photos of your two axies, what are their names? I have a 4 inch leucistic who I adore:love: I have been considering getting a second one, but was worried about getting a male and a female. Do you think yours are happier together?

Kate1018

Reaction score
They came together from a previous owner. They occasionally lay side by side, but most often ignore one another. I do not think they are social animals. i am told one laid eggs. So at least one girl. I may have seen some eggs in the tank two days ago. I am not sure. I vacuumed up most & left a few to see if they developed, found some good pics online. can’t see any change.
Axis are undersized: 4.5 inches & 5.5, possibly due to a diet of frozen bloodworms only. They are accepting pellets, but won’t touch live worms.

Difficult to get a straight story. The majority say they won’t spawn in the absence of a male, others saying it happens. Some saying breeding and spawning will exhaust the female, others not. I wouldn’t let the eggs mature. Not into the axie busines.

That‘s one of mine in the avatar! Other looks the same. Pale pink, darker gills and black eyes.

WaterLily05

Reaction score
They came together from a previous owner. They occasionally lay side by side, but most often ignore one another. I do not think they are social animals. i am told one laid eggs. So at least one girl. I may have seen some eggs in the tank two days ago. I am not sure. I vacuumed up most & left a few to see if they developed, found some good pics online. can’t see any change.
Axis are undersized: 4.5 inches & 5.5, possibly due to a diet of frozen bloodworms only. They are accepting pellets, but won’t touch live worms.

Difficult to get a straight story. The majority say they won’t spawn in the absence of a male, others saying it happens. Some saying breeding and spawning will exhaust the female, others not. I wouldn’t let the eggs mature. Not into the axie busines.

That‘s one of mine in the avatar! Other looks the same. Pale pink, darker gills and black eyes.
Ohhhhhh ok. Ah gorgeous! What are yours named?

WaterLily05

Reaction score
Sally and Mander.
LOL
so creative

I named them, no previous names
Awww those are neat names! Good luck with your gorgeous babies!

Out of curiosity, are you over on a fish forum? I thought I recognized the names of the axolotls and your situation with the axolotls (their size and the glow decor lol).

Last edited:

WaterLily05

Reaction score
Also, I feel so dumb! I just realized the pun behind the names! Sally Mander salamander. The names are so cute , I love it!

Kate1018

Reaction score
Awww those are neat names! Good luck with your gorgeous babies!

Out of curiosity, are you over on a fish forum? I thought I recognized the names of the axolotls and your situation with the axolotls (their size and the glow decor lol).
Yep, that’s me. I use different names for Twitter, forums etc. You too, I think?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1