Are axolotls and lesser sirens good tank mates?

Anilaky

Reaction score
Country
United States
There is a 10-12 in female lesser siren for sale in my area and I was wondering if it would be okay to put them in with my two 7-8 inch axolotls for a couple of months until I got a new tank just for the siren?
I have been googling like crazy and haven’t found an answer. I see that the care for both of them is pretty much the same (I saw somewhere that sirens like cold water like axies do, is this true? My tank stays between 65 and 67 degrees). I just wanted to know if someone’s ever had them together before or if not, if it would be an alright thing to try?

Please no hate or angry answers, I genuinely don’t know and that’s why I’m trying to find out BEFORE I get the siren. If it’s not a good idea then I just won’t buy the siren. There’s no need to attack.

No, I would not keep them together. I have not kept sirens, but I have kept axolotls. They will snap at anything they encounter, and while the sirens may be too big to eat, they are not too big to be injured by the axolotls.

No. I keep both. The axolotls would be a meal to a full grown lesser siren or if the siren is small it would be a new kind of earthworm for the axolotl. Lesser Sirens are known to be aggressive and can rarely be kept with their own kind let alone another species. I only keep mine with whatever is also food; shrimp, guppies, small snails.

I say invest in another tank. Both species are fun pets and great to watch. :lol:

Definitely not. The siren would drive the axolotls crazy. They are far more active and would cause a lot of stress for the axolotls. Sirens are far more agressive too and would probably nip at the axolotls nonstop.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back