Are Axolotls legal in British Columbia? If so, how can I get one or two?

Toothless

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would love to be able to get two, but how would two males do in the same tank? or would I need seperate tanks?

I have cared for salamanders before, but new to axies.

I have invested in a number of good books, sio I can follow the required care step by step.

I am hoping to eventually get a pair as well ... but have never seen them for sale in BC ... Ever 0.o not even on Craigslist or anything... ans you can buy ANYTHING. on craigslist.
I, too am looking for a local breeder, so if you find someone, please pass on the info :) :p

I have seen other Canadians buying Ambystoma andersoni rather than axolotls lately. They are practically the same as Axolotls, so you may want to look into that.

They are legal, but we do need to complete the CITES form if we're bringing them from out of the country:

Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Health of Animals - Importation of Amphibians and Reptiles

Depending on where you are in B.C there's a couple of places that I've seen A. mexicanum and A. andersoni. King Ed's in Burnaby does carry leucistic A. mexicanum, but I'd be wary about those little dudes as the tanks are over crowded and I'm not sure how much they actually know about the species. The weekend before last there were four beautiful A. andersoni at Aquariums West on Burrard St. in Vancouver. At King Ed's they're going for about $55 (if memory serves) and at Aquarium West they're $119.

I hope that helps!

im from vancouver and bought two andersoni's about 2 monthes ago from Pet boutiqe on marine drive north van , and just stoped by yesterday to buy more food and they still had one left you should check it out, guys by the way ive started to develop a lil bit of nitrate in the tank how do i lower it? and when i use the iced bottle technic to lower the temprature do i live the cap on or off? is there any other technic i can use beside the ice bottle? thanks guys

Buy a chiller, use an air conditioner in the room..leave the cap on, and live plants will help control your nitrates.

No, axolotls are not legal in BC. Under the wildlife act all members of the family ambylostoma are considered wildlife. While conservation service is not actively looking for them if they find them they will confiscate them and sadly they will be destroyed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back