Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are there any reports on captive bred American Green Tree Frogs?

C

Cliygh and Mia

Has anyone bred these guys in the US? I know I have a male and female,(male calls and is smaller and female larger and plumper) and it would probably take a rain chamber and the such, but has anyone bred these guys and could give me pointers?

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Doesn't seem too hard, basically cool them for a couple of months at maybe 5c then put them in a heated enclosure with lots of room (e.g. A greenhouse) and they spawn easily. I hope to try breeding them this summer or next.

DartFrog180

Reaction score
In addition to Stuarts suggestion, feed them well throughout May.

Since you're in the southern US already, watch for weather forecasts with a warm period (most any day from now on, correct?) followed by an evening with heavy rain/thunderstorms. Put them outside in a really large rubbermaid type container with a secure screen top, 4-5 inches of water, and a few branches with green leaves broken off and floating in the water. This species is known to be tolerant of fairly hot conditions, so as long as the top allows ventilation they will be fine in the container. When the rain comes the male should call, and they will likely breed. Consider your neighbors though, the call is VERY loud.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Consider your neighbors though, the call is VERY loud.

Oh, we know about them being loud! Once a week, the male will just call, regardless of rain, sun, night, or day. He sounds like a duck when he calls

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!