Are they health eggs?

Littlelegsbex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi brought some eggs off line and had them for a week Monday. Do you think they are ok? Never hatched them before. I haven’t noticed any movement yet.

Hi brought some eggs off line and had them for a week Monday. Do you think they are ok? Never hatched them before. I haven’t noticed any movement yet.

Attachments

• IMG_9694.MOV
    45.3 MB
  • 29448D42-C836-4B35-BC61-0EE4F4666F76.jpeg
    29448D42-C836-4B35-BC61-0EE4F4666F76.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
Hi,
Those containing a well-shaped embryo seem healthy but most of them are not developping correctly.
Those which are still round, especially if whitish and trouble, are suspect.

It's uncommon to have different development stages in a batch, but perhaps you got eggs from different spawnings ?

Hi,
Those containing a well-shaped embryo seem healthy but most of them are not developping correctly.
Those which are still round, especially if whitish and trouble, are suspect.

It's uncommon to have different development stages in a batch, but perhaps you got eggs from different spawnings ?

Attachments

• IMG_9705.MOV
    41.6 MB
I’ve added another video with the flash on. I hope they are ok.

some of them seem to be developing just fine, while others seem to be duds. i would separate the healthy and developing ones from the dead or malformed, and watch the healthy ones for movement in the coming days.

Photo from above! I’m really not sure that any of these are going to hatch ☹️ they all look bad to me. Looking at others egg photos they just don’t look the same.

Attachments

• 33585C5B-D74A-48A8-8007-54EAC7EB9138.jpeg
    33585C5B-D74A-48A8-8007-54EAC7EB9138.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
From above and in different light. What do you think? Do you think any are alive?

Attachments

• IMG_9719.MOV
    31.9 MB
  • IMG_9720.MOV
    22.8 MB
From above and in different light. What do you think? Do you think any are alive?
hmm. very hard to say. they seem to have started developing and growing, but the fuzziness and opacity of the mass is concerning.
what temperature are they at? also, how many days have you had them?
i think they may be duds, but still prepare in case one or two ends up hatching.

hmm. very hard to say. they seem to have started developing and growing, but the fuzziness and opacity of the mass is concerning.
what temperature are they at? also, how many days have you had them?
i think they may be duds, but still prepare in case one or two ends up hatching.
Just room temperature, received them in the post Monday, so nearly a week.

Just room temperature, received them in the post Monday, so nearly a week.
usually take 10-14 days to hatch, if you get past the two week point with no hatchlings then they're duds

As far as I can see from the different pictures you have a mix of living and dead embryos - there are some that started developing but have terminated, and some that still look good to me. This isn’t anything unusual to be fair, to have both viable and infertile eggs within the same batch, but it’s certainly good practice to separate any eggs that have gone ‘cloudy’ in appearance with what looks like an exploded or squashed fuzzy embryo from those eggs that still look clear with a bean shaped embryo that you will notice changing in shape over the days - the latter are the ones you want to keep. Do bare in mind that actual hatch dates can vary depending on one or two factors - without knowing the temperature of where you are keeping them (some people live in colder houses than others), they can certainly take longer than 2 weeks to hatch under cooler conditions. Try not to panic regardless, perhaps take photos every few days so you can compare - eventually you’ll be able to work out for yourself which eggs are viable, and which aren’t. Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back