Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are your kaiseri spawning yet?

johnskillcorn

Reaction score
Just a round-up of information folks.

Anyone got their kaiseri spawning yet? My females look ready to go and a couple of males appear to be almost there, but so far no eggs.

Perhaps you might give updates as to where yours are up to.

Greetings for 2013. John Skillcorn

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine are still terrestrial at a toasty 5-10C so I'm not expecting eggs! I'm holding off for as long as I can because raising larvae outside of the daphnia season is hard work. When I do decide to put my adults into their aquatic setup I'll be sure to update :cool:

Davo

Reaction score
No eggs from mine yet, plenty of tail fanning from the males but no eggs yet. I will post on this thread if they start laying. :happy:

Good luck everyone!

Willlis

Reaction score
I think my post from a couple of weeks ago answers for me, but I must say that this burst of colder weather has seemed to jump start them again. Just saw about another dozen or so new eggs in the cage tonight.

johnskillcorn

Reaction score
Thanks for the information folks. So I'm not starting to worry too soon, then! I think the dull days we've been having recently during winter haven't helped to get them started, but now that the weather's picking up I'm hoping to see some activity in earnest pretty soon. The days are getting longer for sure and a bit of brighter weather might just make the difference. Fingers crossed!

Tim Robin

Reaction score
I have not seen any eggs yet. A couple of females are getting rather rotund! Most of the females have conical shaped cloacas and the male is very buldgy. I have not seen them tail fanning, but do not observe them for any length of time. Their water temp is around 55-57F. The N strauchii are laying and in years past, the N kaiseri lay when it warms up just a little more. I will update when they do start laying.

Joe Blecha

Reaction score
I pulled 33 eggs tonight. I first noticed 7 eggs on the 24th and just got around to pulling all of the rocks out and getting eggs out. I'm not sure if any are fertile yet but I'm still pretty stoked!

Davo

Reaction score
A lot more activity from mine in the last 3 or 4 days, i had a female following the males about, plenty of males tail fanning. No eggs yet.

Last edited:

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great news Martin! I'm going to put mine in their aquatic breeding setup today. The males are sitting in the water bowl with disgusted looks on their faces each night.

Davo

Reaction score
Its funny how ove the years you get to know your animals, last night the female that layed sat on a rock staring at me, i looked at her and said to my wife she will start laying tonight, maybe i am going a bit mad! ha ha ha :crazy:

I am sure yours wont be far behind mine! Good luck Mate!

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I only got round to putting mine in their 100 litre aquatic tub with floating island today. A handful went straight into the water and within a few minutes furious tail fanning was taking place. It's been a couple of hours now and the tub floor is littered with spermatophores. I've never seen newts transform from terrestrial to aquatic breeding mode so quickly. Temperatures are around 10C in the newt room. Could get a bit bonkers if all 15 adults take to the water :cool:

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First eggs spotted today :happy:. Only 6 newts aquatic at this stage but the females have males intently following their every move.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I removed some eggs this afternoon and took a few photos. There are rocks in the enclosure but their preference is the underside of plastic leaves. I noticed some moss was being used too.

Upside down about to lay an egg.

mark-albums-another-album-1-picture27765-img-5962.jpg

Closer view of volcanic shaped egg laying cloaca.

mark-albums-another-album-1-picture27764-img-5963.jpg

Eggs - I can see some cell division but most are very fresh, probably from today.

mark-albums-another-album-1-picture27766-img-5968.jpg

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Without wanting to hijack this thread - 8 newts are now in the water and I still have lots of eggs being laid. The older ones have developed nicely although I did lose a handful to fungus. One dud can spread fungus to nearby eggs so I'm being extra vigilant now.

mark-albums-another-album-1-picture27981-img-6060small.jpg

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Noticed my first hatchlings in the adult tank today (how did they escape the turkey baster?). The ones in the rearing tank are also close.

mark-albums-another-album-1-picture28159-img-6117small.jpg

velasco13000

Reaction score
I have a quick question...I have a breeder tank with my 1.4 the females look ready and are nice and fat and the male also looks ready...Is it better to just leave all of them in the same tank? or better to separate females into different tanks and switch up the male within the tanks so they can all breed? What do you guys think is the better way and would yield larger amount of eggs??

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know the answer. When the males go into courtship mode they will attempt to service any passing female. I suspect the quantity of eggs will depend on many factors. The number of females present in the tank is probably not that influencial compared with factors such as age, health, temperature cycling etc.

I always put mine in one big group. Whilst Neurergus can reach sexual maturity at 2 years I have found that both kaiseri and strauchii are most fruitful at around 4 years +. If your group is young expect smaller yields.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!