Area above water for axolotl

CrabApple127

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just took my axolotl to the vet for an unrelated concern.* But they told me he needed to have an area to go above the water, kinda like a turtle. They did say it was okay as long as he had a spot that was close to the surface, which mine does. I forgot to ask, but maybe they just meant so he could get gulps of air at the top?

Anyway, I have owned my axolotl for 2+ years, and I've done a lot of research on them, so I was very skeptical. I've never heard of an axolotl needing to be able to choose between land and water. I've only ever heard of them coming out of the water due to horrible water conditions. But they are professionals. So, just to make sure, is there any benefit to creating a little land area for my axolotl?

*He has a bacterial infection on his lip. Its not too bad, but it wasn't going away so I opted to take him to the vet.

Last edited:
I think they are confusing salamanders that aren't neotenic with those that are, unless your axolotl is starting to morph having a land area is pointless.

I think they are confusing salamanders that aren't neotenic with those that are, unless your axolotl is starting to morph having a land area is pointless.
Thank you! Of course, that's what I figured. I just wanted to get a second opinion just case I was the uninformed one lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back