Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Arguments against poor care

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I'm sure everyone here has learned new and better ways to care for their axolotls (as well as other pets) but its become more and more frequent that I've met people who assure me their way of keeping axolotls is fine because it seems happy. Here in florida the common issue seems to be keeping the tank cool. I've gone into pet stores that have told me axolotls should be kept in tropical water. What have been people's experiences with convincing others to improve their care of their pets and has it always worked?

*there will always be those stubborn people who say they kept their axolotl healthy for a few years and they know what they are doing but there's no fixing that level of ignorance

Petersgirl

Reaction score
I think largely it depends on individuals and their responses to advice. When I gave my babies away, I gave out full Care Guides and, if possible, Friended them on Facebook. A few of them give me regular updates, post videos and photos, and chat about them. I'm over the moon with these owners.

I have had one, however, who got two from me. Her mother-in-law has kept them before, and she contacted me to tell me she was getting them a heater. I instantly replied that axolotls don't need heaters - if anything they love chillers! - and after that I never heard from her again.

Another example was the LFS I gave some babies to. A chap who works there took quite a few from me to raise himself, and then to sell in the shop. I pop in about once a week to check on them and up until now they've been good - small, but good. I went in a few days ago and I saw three of my babies in with a massive school of White Fantails.

I wanted to cry. I'd specified that they weren't to be kept with anything else and even provided them with a full Care Guide. Here were the babies I'd raised from eggs, fed, cleaned, for three months. And one of them was being attacked by a White Fantail.
I went to the cashier, the same guy I'd given them to, all aquiver. I didn't want to cause any fuss - after all, my whole family buys from there - but I politely asked if my babies could be moved to another tank.
'Yeah, sure,' he said, and right away he moved to the tanks, spotted a Black Moor all on its lonesome, moved it to another tank and popped the three babies into their own little tank, with a log and moss and everything. I was so happy!

My Dad, not so much. I can't include the 'choice words' he used but suffice to say he wanted to know why I was making such a fuss, especially seeing as he has to go in there.

Well, I didn't bring these babies into the world for them to suffer. Sometimes you have to stand up for what is right. Even if you stand alone.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
awesome response! I'm going to use the care guide when I start giving out my babies :)

Petersgirl

Reaction score
I loved giving out Care Guides. I feel that, even if they don't read them, it protects you as a breeder and keeper - you have documental evidence that you have provided that owner with correct Care advice. I think it also helps new owners to weed out 'good' advice from otherwise dodgy tidbits they might get off the internet. It's nice that they can benefit from your experience too. A Zookeeper I gave 15 of mine to wasn't aware of tea baths for axolotls and was fascinated by the application. I was only too happy to let him know - it's really good for the hobby to share.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I had my first interesting customer (although I didn't sell anything to them)

Got an email asking about an axolotl to replace theirs that died.. I asked how it passed and the response was "idk everything else in the tank is still fine so we don't know what it could have been"
Turns out they kept multiple species of fish including a betta, as well as African clawed frogs. I told them that the temp requirements of those species are too warm for axolotls let alone that axolotls should be kept alone. I said the tank should be below 70F and was told that their room is practically 70F so the tank is 60-70F which idk how that's possible because they didn't mention fans or anything. I don't think they researched axolotls at all :/

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1