Ariels babies

nina89

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So here is Ariels batch she had in september parents both dark wildtypes. These are my keepers one of each colour, I know I shouldn't keep so many but what the heck! I also have a thread in the FS area if anyone is looking for axies!
photo:
1 - wild type and white albino
2 - white albino
3 - speckled leucistic
4 - Golden albino
5 - light golden albino ?
6 - same light golden albino ?
7 - the two goldens together when they were younger

Silly question probably but is the axolotl in pic 5 and 6 definitely a golden albino I wasn't sure what colour it was when it was younger (see pic 7) I thought it was a white albino when you see it next to the other gold axies, but then when you compare it to a white albino its quite yellow.

Attachments

Dakkagor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think from what I've been told about my Desdemona that #5 might be a golden albino, they look very similar to each other.

number 3 looks amazing! Love those markings, congrats on getting such a lovely bunch!

jinian

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sure, wild types can easily have offspring of other colors. Here's how you figure out parental genotypes from offspring!

Here are the parents' genotypes as we know they must be because they're wild-type in appearance. (See Axolotls - Genetics and Colour for details.)

D/? M/? A/? Ax/? x D/? M/? A/? Ax/?

Now, we know from the photos that there are wild-type, golden albino, leucistic, and white albino offspring. The wild types are no surprise, of course. The others are what's called "informative" -- they tell us something about the parents that we couldn't have known just by looking.

A golden albino must have two recessive alleles for melanophore albinism, a/a. To get two copies, one had to come from each parent, so we know for sure that each parent must have the genotype A/a -- big A makes them look wild-type, little a means they can pass on the golden albino gene variant. If that were the only interesting color gene, we'd expect 1 golden albino for every 3 wild types in the offspring, but it gets more complicated in this case.

Revised parental genotypes:
D/? M/? A/a Ax/? x D/? M/? A/a Ax/?

Leucistic axolotls must have two recessive alleles, too: d/d. Just as above, that means each parent must have D/d.

Final parental genotypes:
D/d M/? A/a Ax/? x D/d M/? A/a Ax/?

(White albinos are d/d a/a, and actually would tell us all that by themselves. I'd expect only one in 16 axolotls from this cross to be white albinos, though, so you can't count on always finding them. You can conclude the same thing from the more common offspring.)

Now, it's important to realize that there are still question marks there. Your impulse might be to think, so the parents can't be carrying the gene for melanoid! It's true that the parents probably aren't both carrying it, but either one could be and we wouldn't know; the babies would be M/M or M/m, both of which look normal. Ditto axanthic.

If we really wanted to know about those genotypes, breeding each of the parents to a melanoid and an axanthic, then looking at those offspring would tell us. If the parent is M/m, breeding it with m/m will give half melanoid babies. If it's M/M, its offspring with m/m will never be melanoid.

This is fun for me, sorry for going on about it. :)

mamatoulouse

Reaction score
Country
Spain
"scratches head".... uh huh.....
I prefer to think of things like this the way my ancestors did.....magic!!
Jinian, that was very informative, thank you...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AlexisJG:
    As long as they don’t seem stressed that’s good and I mean hey if their well fed maybe they’ll live long happy lives together.
    +2
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    oh ya they are happy xD every time i come in to my room my Koy betta is like HI HI HI and actively swimming around
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nerodia1:
    Děkuji za přijetí. Hledám tohoto obojživelníka, Typhlonectes compressicauda, nevíte, kde ho získat, nejlépe někde v Evropě.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Caudex has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    VEEK has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    My axie is acting woerd he was a rescue as stated in a different post he got better and now seems to be deteriorating again...again all tank conditions are OK and as should be. He seems to have some black dapple like pattern under his bottom lip? Is that normal? And his two back feet have a little wierd growth? Almost? Tiny tiny tiny lump. His capillaries in his feathers also appear darker and more visible. Any help would be appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lanalotl:
    Hes a leucistic axie
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    AmphibiGirl has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dibgame:
    Hey guys. First time on this forum and im not sure what formatting i should use but hey here i go.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    Hi! I'm being in a hard position where I have to re-home my axolotls. I'm moving out and I would like to find them a new home with someone who can take proper care of them
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jadezoey:
    I have an adult wild type and a juvenile leucistc
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • BigAl:
    Oops my bad accidentally sent that
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    @HalfDrunkToastLol
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    is anyone online???
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Calgarycoppers has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxieMomma87:
    Are you still here
    +1
    Unlike
  • ZayneSantos:
    Is there anyone on who can give me advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Max2445:
    @ZayneSantos, What advice do you need
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    based on this video what type of salamander might this larva be? I suspect either eastern newt or spotted salamander
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    help appreciated
    +1
    Unlike
  • KrabzAga:
    they are from missouri
    +1
    Unlike
    KrabzAga: they are from missouri +1