Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Aristotle the Axolotl

Sandy123

Reaction score
I got my first axolotl a little over a week ago , he ate fine for me twice but then he stopped eating , he takes them & drops them or spits them out , he was eating red wigglers so I switched worms but there has been no change . Sometimes he is very lazy but he will swim sometimes , last night I noticed him swimming & it looked kinda fast . He does like to sit near the filter, especially if he’s swimming a lot that night . His gills & tail look fine , his water is a little warm because I am waiting for his water fan to come in the mail , but I have been cooling the water with ice . He is 5 months old & is a wild type if that helps .
F901CB78-E075-4F4D-BE8A-1BB384340514.jpeg

Sandy123

Reaction score
Also forgot to mention he has pooped ! I cleaned one up about 2 days ago , he stopped eating about 5 days ago .

fishkid

Reaction score
what are your water parameters? and what exactly is the temperature? one thing i will add is you will want to remove those stones, he will get too big and they can cause impaction or get stuck in his mouth, they also hide uneaten food and waste which leads to ammonia and nitrate spikes and the axolotls toes etc can get stuck and injured. to entice food drive you could try coating food in garlic, google how to, I've heard it can help.

Lyv3wyr3

Reaction score
He may have swallowed a rock. Based on the size of him thats unlikely, but it happened to me too. I recommend that while he’s that small you have a bare bottom tank then when he gets a lil over five inches switch to sand if u want a substrate uwu

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1