Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Arkansas salamanders

A

andy

I just returned from a trip to the Ouachita Mtns in Arkansas to photograph five target species. I encountered three out of five: Ambystoma annulatum (Ring Salamander), P. fourchensis (Fourche Mtn salamander) , and P. ouachitae (Rich Mtn salamander). The two species that eluded me were P. caddoensis (caddo mtn salamander) and Hemidactylium scutatum (four-toed salamander). The region has a high diversity of salamanders, just within Polk county there are seventeen species. Anyway, I plan to return next week for a mtn bike race and to hike the Black Fork wilderness. In the meantime I hope you like the pics, I'll add some more Plethodon and habitat pics this week and a map I created before I leave.

25002.jpg

25003.jpg

25004.jpg

25005.jpg

25006.jpg

(Message edited by andy on October 26, 2004)

P

paris

wow -those are great, the focus is so tight on the close ups you can see the granulation in the skin...

TJ

Reaction score
Excellent pics Alan -- and excellent photo subjects
lol.gif

I'm looking forward to your second installment!

R

russ

Great pics. I use to go down there in during the March rains and see thousands (and I means thousands) of P. ouachitae and P. caddoensis. Man those were the days.

RUSS

N

nate

Beautiful sals, Andy. The Ouachitas are really amazing, like you mention, and the sal diversity is pretty impressive. I'm headed down there soon myself.

One thing the Ouachitas are known for though, is their salamander mites (Trombiculidae). Notice they are all over the feet of the P. fourchensis (4th photo). There's a couple near the back leg/hip of the P. ouchitae photo too. But there are none on the A. annulatum. I always wondered if Ambystioma from down there would be infected.

A

andy

I finally made it back to the Ouachitas, however my window of opportunity to photograph some Caddo Mountain salamanders diminished with the onset of dry and windy fall weather. Without a full canopy the forest floor dries out quickly along the ridge tops. If you want to observe these species moisture is an important factor. I was lucky during my last visit the area received approximately 12 inches of rain in Oct. During and following heavy rainfall these species are fairly easy to find. Believe me, you still have to work to find these salamanders and you will not find hundreds or thousands of these guys roaming the forest floor. If you plan on a road trip please do some research in the stacks regarding locality data. My first trip to the Ouachitas, with a herpetology class, was a shut out. During the 7 hour trip in a packed van my professor raved about these beautiful little salamanders you can only find on isolated moutaintops. Two years later on a solo trip I finally observed the three endemics.
26331.jpg

26332.jpg

The maps are from a cartography project. I'm fascinated with biogeography and I feel it’s easier to gain insight on flora and fauna by looking at current distributions and deciphering how earth processes, time, and isolation shape species. For more information regarding this complex I recommend a Copeia article (1979:1) by Duncan and Highton: Genetic Relationships of the Eastern Large Plethodon of the Ouachita Mountains. According to their research, they have estimated times of genetic divergence by analyzing electrophoretic data. Using a formula developed by Nei (1975), P. yonahlossee separated from the line giving rise to all the Ouachita mountain species approximately 3 million years ago and the separation of P. glutinosus (slimy salamander) from the three endemic Ouachita Mtn species occurred about 2 million years ago and the isolation of P. caddoensis, P. ouachitae and P. fourchensis occurred about a million and a half years ago. The subdivision of the three variants occurred approximately 700,000 years ago. Anyways, this is a brief synopsis and a theory; the research is ongoing. I just think its awesome that you can hike to the highest point on Rich Mtn and see these imaginary lines that designate species and variants, not just rely on text and diagrams in books.
26333.jpg

Summer view of southern flanks of Rich Mountain. In the distance you can see Lake Wihelmina; to the left western extent of the Caddo Mtns and to the right Round Mtn.
26334.jpg

Fall view of previous image. All specimens of P. ouachitae on this trip are from the north slope of Rich Mt in the foreground of the image.
26335.jpg

This is a northerly view of Fourche Mtn from the top of Rich Mtn fire tower. The P. fourchensis I observed are from Buck Knob. I didn't have time to look for salamanders in the Blackfork Wilderness due to the lack of quick access logging roads. The area has wilderness status which is ok with me but not George Bush. According to Sievert (1986) the Rich Mtn color morph on this mountain has a dorsal color that is closer to red than chestnut. Be aware that black bears are common on this section of the Ouachita trail; I recommend bear bells.
26336.jpg

26337.jpg

I love these salamanders. Keep in mind these are stout little woodland salamanders with a rich history (sorry), not your typical redback. Within one hour I observed four specimens under separate rocks. A low salamander to rock ratio considering ideal collecting conditions . In the spring the success rate is much higher but you have to deal with thick, thorny brush. If anyone has observed this species utilizing the night eye-shine spotting method let me know. A couple years ago I was in a plethodon biology course at Highlands where we observed several species during night hikes, highlights P. yonahlossee and welleri :)
26338.jpg

26339.jpg

This is the Winding Stair Mountain color morph of P. ouachitae. This variant shows a great reduction in the amount of chestnut on the dorsum; it may be completely absent or represented by small flecks. Only at the extreme eastern end of W. Stair Mtn. a dorsal color pattern with chestnut coloration appears. These salamanders were found in sympatry with Western Slimy (P. albagula) and S. Redbacks (P. Serratus). It helps to select sites at the highest possible elevation to avoid slimies which means 4WD logging roads.
26340.jpg

I had to slip in another image of this spectacular salamander. I only found 1 individual while road cruising along historic collecting localities of ring and four-toed salamanders. Must have missed the mass migrations ambystomatids are noted for. According to an article I researched, the authors cruised paved highways in the fall observing several four-toed salamanders in the vicinity. I've collected individuals under Sphagnum moss mats, but road cruising? I returned the next day and was surprised the roadside habitat primarily consisted of private residences and cattle and poultry farming operations within a mosaic of pasture/mixed-hardwood.
26341.jpg

This is the reason I return each year. Throughout the year the higher elevations are engulfed in clouds; I just love driving through the fog on logging roads that hug the mtn. These images are from Fourche Mtn as I ascend to the peak of Buck Knob. I used a tent rainfly as a make-shift photo studio, it didn't work. I purchased a flash for my coolpix 4500 but haven't figured it out yet. Anyways, I had to bring one fourche salamander down the mtn; returned unharmed a couple days later. By the way, these salamanders have quite an appetite. It devoured a couple worms a day.
26342.jpg

26343.jpg

26344.jpg

This is the Fourche Mtn salamander. I observed 10 adults within an hour. During a spring trip I only found 1 adult and a couple juveniles. As you can see this is a gorgeous, agile salamander that lives in an equally breathtaking habitat. These are images of the north slope which receives less direct solar radiation than south slopes, hence cooler, moister and support more mesic vegetation. The area is littered with moss and lichen covered rocks which provide a critical microhabitat for all plethodon ouachita endemics. Along the ridge top the trees are dwarfed due to frequent ice storms.
26345.jpg

Most members of the ouachitae group are often infested with chiggers that belong to the species Hannemania dunni. The rate of infestation seems to vary between populations. Interestingly, the western slimy salamander which shares microhabitat with endemic Ouachita Mtn Plethodon is rarely infested. As you can see this ectoparsite not only inserts mouthparts into tissue but the larvae of this genus also invades amphibian tissue and becomes completely embedded. Sadly, I've noticed individuals with missing toes and also mites embedded in the snout along the nasolabial groove. Researchers believe this may alter chemosensory function which can dramatically influence foraging ability and a salamander’s ability to find a mate or defend a territory.
A word of advice to collectors that must have a pair of every caudate species they find intoxicating, I know you're out there. HANDS OFF! These salamanders are protected and are not in need of a detailed captive breeding protocol. The most critical requirement for the overall future survival of these species are large tracts of healthy, unaltered forest and streamside habitat within each species' range in the Ouachita National Forest and a global warming pact: thank you BUSH :-( Why take the risk of introducing an exotic that could alter the fitness of other amphibians. Sorry, for the rant, ten years ago I was on Marc Staniszewski’s website and noticed on a recent trip to the USA he collected numerous specimens of all three Ouachita endemics. WHY? By the way, I noticed a thread regarding his picture book, I would recommend it to any sixth grade naturalist

Next year I plan to revisit Pigeon Mtn. Georgia and possibly the Smokies; this time with a camera. I’m also considering exploring the mtns of New Mexico for Aneides hardii.

Hopefully, in the spring I’ll have some caddo pics to post and if I have some patience I’ll try to take some decent Ouachita dusky pics.

http://www.ouachitachallenge.com/
http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/parks/park.asp?id=11

J

john

Andy, if we had a prize for the best thread on the forum in the last month, you would win it. You would win the photography prize too ;).

Thank you so much for taking the time to write these posts, sharing your insight, photos, and experiences with us
happy.gif

R

ralf

Thanks a lot for sharing, Andy. I would've also loved to see a pic of that raving professor in the packed van, hehe.
biggrin.gif

N

nate

Great photos, Andy. The dwarf oak forests on the tops of those mountains are really cool, and anyone in the vicinity of the Ouachitas really should go and see them. Not only is the salamander fauna unique, but the flora and geology is as well.

In Nov. 2002, a friend and I went down there to collect some E. multiplicata for my research as well as to get a little hiking in. As we approached Rich Mountain, the top looked silvery-white. We couldn't understand this, as it was sunny and about 75F out. But as we got to the very top of Rich Mountain, sure enough....the entire top of the mountain was glazed in ice. It was a fantastic reminder of just how different the environmental factors are on top of those ridges vs. the valleys. They don't look that high, but the temperature gradient is.

You sure about them being protected, Andy? Last time I spoke with Kelly Irwin, AR's state herpetologist, I was told they are all listed as "Species of Concern" which is really just a label and provides no actual legal protection.

These salamanders are hundreds of times more aggressive/territorial than P. cinereus, and so probably not something easily bred by the average hobbyist anyway.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!