Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Artemia nauplius @ 400x

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
3rdinstarnapuliArtemia.jpg

Got my HD microscope rig up an running. Figured I test it on some brine shrimp first.

Suspect 2nd or 3rd instar for this one.

VIDEO to follow.

Last edited:

JessKB

Reaction score
This is great! What kind of microscope are you using? I'm considering purchasing one soon. I think I could spend hours looking at pond water!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
watch

The entire scope is based off of a no-name Chinese "Baytronix" M300 compound scope that I picked up for a extremely, extremely low price on eBay. I then swapped out the nosepiece and optics with Zeiss parts. I replaced the prism with a Leica model.
The camera was originally a hacked web cam, but I hated the low frame rate and lousy resolution, so I hacked a Samsung SL102 slightly and made it a permanent mount on the vertical ocular tube.

Sorry about the double video and non HD youtube video. I have to learn how to post video all over again.

Molch

Reaction score
this is awesome - I have one of those low-resolution eyepiece cameras and it sucks. I've been looking for a way to get better resolution pics. I do have good microscopes around. You mounted a normal calera on the eyepiece? Or something? Lol. Is there a translation of the above for slow-wits like me? :D

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
this is awesome - I have one of those low-resolution eyepiece cameras and it sucks. I've been looking for a way to get better resolution pics. I do have good microscopes around. You mounted a normal calera on the eyepiece? Or something? Lol. Is there a translation of the above for slow-wits like me? :D

Sure!

The 'scope I bought has two eye pieces, one to look through and one to mount a camera on. So I cut a hunk of the proper inside diameter PVC pipe, siliconed it around the camera lense in such a way that it is attached to the camera, but does not interfere with the focus and then slipped it on the eyepiece. I found/downloaded some software that lets me run the LCD output on the camera to my desktop.

That gave me a 12.2 megapixel microscope with 720p capability for under 100 bucks. (including the scope and extras.)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
So, oh, so cool...
I´ve been dreaming of having a decent microscope for years, let alone one with which i can take pictures. That´s it, from now i´m saving money for a microscope. The year 2051 is going to be fun.

Thanx for sharing, Johnny. Those are some pretty spectacular shots, nice work!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Seriously, if you are patient, you can build/buy/jury rig one fine piece of equipment.

I only spent 100USD over two weeks, spent five hours making things the way I wanted, and you see the results. I'm going to be up all night fine tuning. :rofl:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
100 quid? really? Ok, you and i are going to have to talk, Johnny. It will take me some time to save up even that but at least it may happen before i retire.

Have fun! and keep them coming!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
100 quid? really? Ok, you and i are going to have to talk, Johnny. It will take me some time to save up even that but at least it may happen before i retire.

Have fun! and keep them coming!

Got the scope for 30 including shipping, the lenses for 10, had the current camera on hand, got the web cam for 15 (but hated it, so I don't use it), got a different prism for 5, and spent about 35 on assorted extras, like a better Abbe condenser lens and filter. I cut my own slides and cover slips. I bought everything on eBay.

Also got an antique student microscope circa 1885 for 30 bucks, which I then resold for 300. That bought me a bunch of stains, dyes, and real slides and cover slips, those just haven't shown up in the mail yet.

If you want an out of the box scoper ready to go, brand new, there is a Indian company on eBay that sells the same stuff I have brand new....they ship internationally. They have the same scope I got for 127.99 with free shipping.

Molch

Reaction score
Sure!

The 'scope I bought has two eye pieces, one to look through and one to mount a camera on. So I cut a hunk of the proper inside diameter PVC pipe, siliconed it around the camera lense in such a way that it is attached to the camera, but does not interfere with the focus and then slipped it on the eyepiece. I found/downloaded some software that lets me run the LCD output on the camera to my desktop.

That gave me a 12.2 megapixel microscope with 720p capability for under 100 bucks. (including the scope and extras.)
cool. If you don't have that software, I assume you could also just simply take pics with the camera and then download those off the camera to the computer?

Otherwise, what is that software and where did you find it?

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
cool. If you don't have that software, I assume you could also just simply take pics with the camera and then download those off the camera to the computer?

Otherwise, what is that software and where did you find it?

Absolutely. I do this when I take stills and I have a headache from spending hours hunched over the scope looking for the right shot.

The software that came with my camera allows it to be used as a web cam as many point and shoots do now a days. I had to download the most recent version from the web though as the stock software didn't work with my current OS.

The tricky part was modifying the PVC to work as an adapter. Took about 20 minutes with my trusty Dremel tool. It is ugly, but it works. :p

evut

Reaction score
Great photos and videos. I admire your DIY abilities. What is the software you are using?

BTW aren't the bugs called "nauplii"?

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!