Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Article about putting rocks back where they came from

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This article is about reptiles, but I suspect that some of the same basic principles are true for other types of animals. When a rock is moved, it may provide a slightly different micro-habitat than it did before it was moved.

Wiley InterScience :: Abstract

Subtle – but easily reversible – anthropogenic disturbance seriously degrades habitat quality for rock-dwelling reptiles

D. A. Pike 1 , B. M. Croak 1 , J. K. Webb 1 & R. Shine 1 1 School of Biological Sciences A08, University of Sydney, NSW, Australia

ABSTRACT

Even apparently subtle disturbance to habitat may have severe long-term consequences if that disturbance alters specific microhabitat features upon which animals depend. For example, in south-eastern Australia, the endangered broad-headed snake Hoplocephalus bungaroides and its prey (velvet geckos Oedura lesueurii) shelter in narrow crevices beneath sun-warmed rocks. Humans frequently displace rocks while searching for snakes and lizards, and these reptiles are rarely found under such displaced rocks (even when the rocks superficially appear suitable). We quantified disturbance to rock outcrops and show that most disturbance was subtle (rocks were typically displaced <30 cm from their original position), but that disturbed rocks harbored fewer reptiles than undisturbed rocks. In a field experiment, we replaced half of the rocks back to their original positions to test whether crevice structure and microclimates differed between disturbed and restored rocks. Crevices beneath displaced rocks were larger and cooler than those beneath restored rocks, and precise repositioning of rocks enhanced usage by reptiles. Both crevice size and temperature influence reptile retreat-site selection; hence, minor displacement of overlying rocks reduces habitat quality by modifying critical crevice attributes. The subtlety of this disturbance suggests that even well-intentioned researchers could damage habitat during field surveys. Conservation of rock outcrop systems requires efforts to reduce rock disturbance, and to educate those searching for animals beneath rocks about the importance of replacing rocks properly. Encouragingly, if rocks are not completely removed, disturbed outcrops can be quickly and easily restored by returning displaced rocks to their original locations.

Received 29 September 2009; accepted 1 February 2010

deliriah

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. It is a great reminder of why we should be mindful of replacing rocks while we are in the field. Good read too.

sergé

Reaction score
It is for many animals, including amphibians and insects, spiders and ants (often you find nests!) very important to place the rocks back.

But...also to take care of the animals you migth crush. On the netherlands webforum of RAVON (RAVON) was a disturbing message this spring of crushed yellow bellied toads under stones because people were replacing them wrong or turning them over in a wrong way. Of course accidents can happen, but just think always before acting

aramcheck

Reaction score
It is for many animals, including amphibians and insects, spiders and ants (often you find nests!) very important to place the rocks back.

But...also to take care of the animals you migth crush. On the netherlands webforum of RAVON (RAVON) was a disturbing message this spring of crushed yellow bellied toads under stones because people were replacing them wrong or turning them over in a wrong way. Of course accidents can happen, but just think always before acting

I too come from a familly of environmentalists and my grandad (an entomologist) drummed it into me the need to very carefully replace the log/rock as I fond it, I alsocarefully remove any animal big enough to be crushed (certainly vertebrates, big invert as well) and place them by the rock/log once I've replaced it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1