Atelopus(Harlequin Toad)keepers?

T

travis

I have always thought these would be very intresting captives. I am under the impression that they are chalenging to maintain but most of the information published that I have read could be outdated by now.
Is anyone having success breeding them?
Thanks,
Travis

Hi Travis,
Atelopus are problematic for a number of reasons. The first is that the majority of species are montane and need cool temps. The second is that other than spumarius, none of the species are not exported legally (and most are critically endangered due to chytrid infections, habitat loss and over collection for the pet trade, I think somewhere of the 80 or so species of Atelopus 15 are already extinct). Most of the Atelopus species that do show up (legal and illegal) are in very poor condition as they do not take well to improper handling and are usually heavily parasitized. Many have multiple sores and septicemias/fungal infections. There was a confiscation of around 400 dart frogs and atelopus several years back (including A. zeteki) of which despite immediate medical care none survived more than a few days (despite husbandry infor provided by the Baltimore Zoo on the care of Zeteki).
At least with Zeteki, stress seems to readily bring out latent chytrid infections rapidly killing populations of the toad. (One of the Zoos built a huge display for Zeteki, stocked with Zeteki, had them living in the cage for months and doing fine, put it on exhibit and the Atelopus all died within weeks from chytrid.)
Baltimore and several other Zoos have bred Zeteki multiple times however the tads are very difficult to rear without the proper foods (they feed on brown diatoms).
Any other questions?
Ed

That is all really too bad. I thought that there might be some keepers having luck with them similar to the people that are doing well with darts these days.
Providing a cool montane environment is no problem where I live(costal Northern California) and I thought I might be able to maintain them.I don't think that will ever happen though.They are just too delicate and sensitive for me to keep.
Thanks for the info Ed,
Travis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back