Axi Identification - Copper or Gold Albino

Rick Douglass

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi I have this Axi that has now laid eggs. She is odd looking in that of late she is looking more like a golden albino but still has a lot of brown tinge in her colour.
She was part of a batch of eggs that had a lot of unknown deaths. I ended up with about 10 survive out of 50. All look like her. There was also obvious golden albinos in the batch but all died.
She had dark eyes (with wild type rings) for at least the first year and was brown like a copper for this time also and has only just developed more golden over the last 6 mths. (She is now about 3years old). Her eyes are more like a gold albino now but have rings like wild type.
Her eggs are white.
Is she just a gold albino that took a long time to reach colour? I was sure she was a copper when she was younger.
Photo attached looks more gold than in real life. She is light brown with a hint of gold in real life. I don't remember what her parents were as I purchased the eggs online.

cheers
Rick

Attachments

• 20220816_173845.jpg
    20220816_173845.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 627
  • 20220816_173942.jpg
    20220816_173942.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 73
  • 20220816_173947.jpg
    20220816_173947.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 67
  • 20220816_173952.jpg
    20220816_173952.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 75
That's definitely a copper though a few weeks ago a guy on here mentioned how his wild type of five years lost all it's color and looks like a leucistic. A leucistic becoming darker usually happens. On that thread, I attached a link to an article of when this phenomenon had happened before in observance and one hypothesis offered was the wild in that instance may have had leucistic DNA. It's possible that this copper may have golden albino DNA. It'd be interesting to see if yours continues to look more golden.

That's definitely a copper though a few weeks ago a guy on here mentioned how his wild type of five years lost all it's color and looks like a leucistic. A leucistic becoming darker usually happens. On that thread, I attached a link to an article of when this phenomenon had happened before in observance and one hypothesis offered was the wild in that instance may have had leucistic DNA. It's possible that this copper may have golden albino DNA. It'd be interesting to see if yours continues to look more golden.
Ok, thanks. Yeah I saw that post about the lost colour. I will keep you posted about any more changes in her colour. Her eggs have beaned up and the dad is a black melanoid, will be interesting to see what they end up like. Would like more coppers (assuming that's what she is).
I have raised all standard axi colour types in the past without issues but the batch that she came from were weak, which makes me think that the copper genetics/mutations may be weaker?

This is called vitiligo, it’s not because it has Lucy dna it’s a skin condition that makes the host lose pigment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back