Axie with worm thing under gills?

N

natasha

Does anyone know what is on my axie? It actually looks like a bloodworm (which I have been feeding her but they are frozen) sticking our below her bottom smallest gill, it is sticking out there like an extra gill or something, I tried to gently see if it would come off incase it was just a piece of food there but it appears to be stuck, she seems happy and normal, any ideas? I have one axie in a 2ft tank, no live plants and a fluval (I think that's how you spell it) internal filter. PH neutral and no ammonia in the tank doing 20% weekly water changes.

is she in the tank alone? any other axies or fish? sounds to me like it might be an injured feather on her gill - mine had this when the gill was bitten lightly by my other axie. have you got a pic?

egads, that sounds like an anchor worm to me, when ive noticed any worms in the feathers or in underneath the gills they have been darker in color. sorry im a bit paranoid about anchor worms lately, haha. id have to see a picture, i hope its not anchor worms cause they are a pain in the a$$! ;P

It has dissapeared, must of been a blood worm floating in the tank that got stuck there, I am paranoid!!

Natasha, I have had that happen too. Guess they're saving something for a midnight snack.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back