Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axies too hot! One won't eat!

emdalliance

Reaction score
It's been very hot here in the UK for the past few days, usually tank temperature isn't a problem. We've recently moved out into a third floor apartment and we don't get hardly any air circulation as only the top bit of two windows in each room open and we get everyone else's heat, as heat rises.
It's about 30 degrees Celsius plus in the apartment and my one axie won't eat, and she usually is never off her food. I'm guessing it's the hideously high temperatures. Water is all okay just checked it with a liquid testing kit.
The water is around 28 degrees Celsius which I know is 10 degrees over what it should be. We can't cool the tank down and keep it cool. We are doing big water changes every two days with cold water, which is hiking up the water bill and not doing much good really as it gets hot so fast. It's a 150L tank or so, very long and not very high. We've tried the ice bottle thing but it takes it down by like half a degree.
Can't afford a water cooler no chance.
Does anyone have any idea how to sort this problem out?
Cheap a method as possible?
Thanks!

CarnationCrab

Reaction score
Get one or two of those clip on fans, pretty sure I saw them at wilko (I go to Lancaster Uni and they were in the Wilko near us), and have them blow directly on the water surface. That might cool down the tank. In the past, when I had goldfish, I used to sometimes use ice bottles to keep it cool as well. Just be careful not to change the temp too drastically too quickly.

Hope you're Axie feels better soon! I sympathize, it was 35 today and we have no AC in my apartment. :-/

Caesar

Reaction score
You should try filling up a 10gal bucket with water then using your whole refrigerator's worth of ice cubes (or store bought) to cool it down. Then dechlorinate it once the ice is all melted and use it as the tank water?
*(Don't remove ALL of the old tank water though.. I assume you know that):eek:

I use a computer fan for my 10gal tank, its 76 F in my house and 68 F in the tank.
I also shut my window so that corner of the room is dark..

Also, if he is in a 150L tank and you try a fan it will take more to evaporate the water quicker so you should downsize your tank.

I would try to move him to a neighbor/friend's house until you can figure something out for the long-term. 28c is very hot, my axolotl got sick w/ a fungus when my air was over 24c.

Also, check out this page: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

emdalliance

Reaction score
Hi guys,
We don't have ice in our fridge, I guess we could get some and do water changes with that! Yeah we've been looking for clip on fans, Wilkos and Tesco don't seem to stock them around here which is so ridiculous. Also checked The Range. Our two tanks are in our living room / kitchen and the blinds are permanently shut to try and keep the tanks cool and the room cool, doesn't make any difference to be honest.
We are a third floor apartment so we can't take the tank to a lower floor because we live in an apartment lol!
Feel like we are fighting a losing battle, still have a good few months of summer left yet and I really need a sustainable option!
Thanks for your advice so far though!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Placing the tank directly onto the floor may help cool it down. Using a larger fan blowing over /onto the tank will also drop the temperature, but be aware that evaporation will increase so you'll need to top up the water. With the higher water temperatures, you'll need to keep a closer eye on the water chemistry.

tipnatee

Reaction score
That's awesome answer , I never thought of putting tank on th floor before. A while back when my aquariums fan broke down durning the mid of summer .. I didn't know what to do. I look around and saw the window kitchen fan ( you know the type that you put on window with extension wings). So I extended the wing all the way in place it on top of the tank it was big enough for a tank lid for one of my 30gallons tank. It works perfectly till I get my hands on a new aquarium fan. :D

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Hi guys,
We don't have ice in our fridge, I guess we could get some and do water changes with that! Yeah we've been looking for clip on fans, Wilkos and Tesco don't seem to stock them around here which is so ridiculous. Also checked The Range. Our two tanks are in our living room / kitchen and the blinds are permanently shut to try and keep the tanks cool and the room cool, doesn't make any difference to be honest.
We are a third floor apartment so we can't take the tank to a lower floor because we live in an apartment lol!
Feel like we are fighting a losing battle, still have a good few months of summer left yet and I really need a sustainable option!
Thanks for your advice so far though!
I know I’m super late, just wondering how your axies are doing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!