Axolotl’s haven’t eaten in 2 weeks

Day

Reaction score
Country
United States
As you see in the title, my Axolotl’s haven’t eaten in 2 weeks. I’ve had my Axolotl’s for 6 years and have fed them nothing but night crawlers and I buy them from a bait shop. I’ve never had a problem with buying from there until I brought a container home one time and they were all moldy. I wasn’t able to go back to the store because of the snowstorm so I had to improvise. I looked up “what do Axolotl’s eat” and one options was raw chicken. So I cut up tiny pieces of chicken, rinsed it off and fed it to them. They both ate them, no problem. But since then they have not eaten the new worms I’ve gotten them, haven’t even showed interest. They won’t eat anything I give them. One of them is getting so skinny and I fear that she’ll die soon. I tried to feed my other one yesterday and she ate the worm perfectly fine, but threw it up this morning. What do I do?

update: i just fed the other one again who threw up her food from this morning. She’s not as hesitant to eat her food like she was last night so hopefully her food stays down today.

Last edited:
It is tough to diagnose what is going on. Bad earthworms could have caused digestive problems. Raw chicken can carry salmonella that also caused problems for reptiles and amphibians. I mostly feed them healthy earthworms or salmon pellets.
For treatment for gram positive and gram negative bacteria and fungus I use furan 2. That can be found at most big tropical fish stores or purchased on line. If they are not to far gone medicating with furan 2 would be a good place to start. It is a major medicine that is good treatment for most infections an axolotl would get.

After they come around I recommend adding cichlid pellets or salmon pellets to your axolotl diet. Then you will have a fall back food if you have problems getting good worms. The bad weather and slow shipping has caused problems getting live foods for many suppliers, stores, and hobbyists.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back