Axolotl always hungry!

Fluffinmuffins

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a juvenile axolotl, I’d say around 6 months old probably. Growing very rapidly now. I primarily had him/her on a diet of live blackworms, that I still occasionally feed until I run out. Outgrowing then at this point because it is eating a turkey baster full twice a day. I recently starting feeding European nightcrawlers as well, to ease the transition once the blackworms are gone. My little guy seems to love them, but is constantly hungry. I feed a fairly large worm, large enough to eat whole but not struggle with. Immediately after, he is looking for more! He will swim to the surface, begging for another. Generally I will allow a few hours to digest and then feed him some blackworms so they don’t go to waste, but he is literally still hungry. I’ve heard you can’t over feed a juvenile axolotl, but I have overfed in the past contributing to a high nitrate problem. This guy has famously huge turds. Should I feed him as much as he can eat or will he always be looking for food no matter what? There was a time where when he was done he would swim off and appear uninterested. Now, he is simply ravenous 24/7. I don’t want to over feed (have done so before and had a nitrate issue for a while), but also don’t want to underfeed if it will simply convert to growth in the long run.
9FF91886-8CFD-4AE0-964C-01790678A2D6.jpeg

Thanks! I struggled getting him/her to eat in the beginning (until I got blackworms) and now, just won’t stop lol. Does seem to be growing very quickly so if it’s beneficial to my little guy, I’ll keep up the frequent feeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back