Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotl Ammonia Out of Control

btholmes

Reaction score
Okay, I am officially putting out an SOS. I have been scouring forums, online help, etc trying to solve this problem, but I'm getting no where.

Problem: Ammonia does not go down. Just keeps going up. I would give an exact ppm on ammonia, but it goes up every day and I do water changes to try to keep it down. I can say that it has gotten to 8ppm before.

Setup: 1 Axie in a 20 gallon tank, sponge filter, temp stays around 61-64 degrees Fahrenheit

Story: So, I thought I cycled my tank before I got him, but I guess I didn't? Once I realized the problem, at first I was trying to keep up with the growing ammonia with him in the tank by doing 50% water changes daily. It helps, but I don't think it's enough since my tap water has 1ppm ammonia in it already. Eventually, I ended up taking him out of the tank to do a clean cycle. I kept him in a bowl for 3 weeks (with daily water changes) while I tried to properly cycle my tank. I put heaters in the tank because I heard cold water can slow the cycling process. Then eventually, through water changes and daily testing, I was able to get my tank to the point that any ammonia I put in would switch to nitrites then nitrates. So, I put him back in the tank. Stayed pretty hands off for a week, just testing the water daily, and the ammonia just kept going up. Now, I'm back at square one where ammonia is getting too high to keep up with and I'd really rather not take him out again.

Note: I am cleaning the filter with only aquarium water.

Possible Theory: Maybe it's a problem with the filter? This is my first time using a sponge filter, so I'm not too familiar with them. I don't think its faulty because when I ring it out in the aquarium water (outside the tank) the water definitely gets much darker. This is the filter I'm using:

So, final note, I'm begging you, please help me help my little man.

JM29

Reaction score
Have you got plants in your tank ?
A good way to get rid of ammonia is rapid growing live aquatic plants (I mean : a lot of plants).

btholmes

Reaction score
Have you got plants in your tank ?
A good way to get rid of ammonia is rapid growing live aquatic plants (I mean : a lot of plants).
I have never done plants before. What kinds of plants do you suggest for a beginner?

JM29

Reaction score
Against Ammonia or nitrates, and for the wellfare of axolotls, I would suggest :
- hornwort Ceratophyllum demersum (floating, no roots)
- Egeria densa (let them float first, they'll grow roots later)
- Salvinia or Pistia as surface floating plants
- Lemna minor is also very efficient (but also very difficult to suppress when you are fed up with it)

These are all fast-growing plants.
Of course, as living plants, they need light to do their job.

When the tank is stabilized, you'll be able to try other plants if you want.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1