Axolotl and Dymax Snail Eliminator

Parabola

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all!

I have a snail outbreak in my axo tank. I already have some Dymax Snail Eliminator. It declares it's "completely harmless to fish and plants and will not effect the biological system of the tank". It states it's "not recommended for marine or shrimp tanks". Unsure what the active constituent is. Have any of used this treatment in your axo tanks? Is it safe for axolotls?

Thanks in advance!! :D

I don't think so. Most products to eliminate snails contain copper, which should not be abused with an axolotl.

Yup don't use that - Almost all snail products are copper based which is super toxic to axolotls. If its not shrimp safe it is definitely not axolotl safe.

The best way to get rid of snails is by reducing food. Try to feed by hand with tweezers and leave no food in the tank. In a week or two most of the snails should be dead and you have to remove them.

Yeah overfeeding isn't the issue. They're both fed live worms by hand. Tank is very clean. On that note, I'm after a tablet/pellet food for my axolotls that is a bit bigger. All the pellets I have are tiny and annoying to feed. I'd love something that's 3-5mm in size or does that then become a choking hazard? Any recommendations?

I use turtle food but needs to be soaked first for 10 min or so and feed them like any other food with tweezers.

Look at sinking carnivore type pellets

Ones for stingrays, cories etc

you have the first ingredients to be fish, insect or invertebrates, little to no iodine or copper added and protein min 45 ish% and fat min 5%

In canada we use

omega one shrimp pellets
northfin jumbo fish 4mm and 6mm
Hikari Sinking Carnivore
The US gets Rangen moist sinking pellets

Some amphibian pellets are great

I avoid anything floating or with too much veg

Yeah overfeeding isn't the issue. They're both fed live worms by hand. Tank is very clean. On that note, I'm after a tablet/pellet food for my axolotls that is a bit bigger. All the pellets I have are tiny and annoying to feed. I'd love something that's 3-5mm in size or does that then become a choking hazard? Any recommendations?

Hikari sinking carnivor are great, but they're so small. I would like something twice the size.
I have a Northfin (jumbo fish) dealer in Australia. I will try those. The ingredients look great!

Thx for your help, team!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back