Axolotl and snail or cleaner fish

Cruz2010

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just bought my first two 7 month old Axolotls. I also bought guppies to bread and feed to them along with frozen bloodworms. My question is can you keep cleaner snails or cleaner fish in the same tank with the axolotl to help keep the tank cleaner?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate.

You can get cleaner shrimp. Amano shrimp are best, will never hurt an axolotl and a lot of times can grow big enough to where they won't get eaten by most axolotls. Snails will be eaten by an axolotl and be unable to be digested, which is very bad. Cleaner fish are usually plecos? Plecos are one of the worst things you can pair an axolotl with as they will end up sucking on the axolotl's slimy skin and cause lacerations and infections.

Thanks for the help. I would never have thought an axolotl would eat a snail because of the shell. I will go ahead with the cleaner shrimp and stay away from the snails and cleaner fish for my axolotl tank!
Are there other ways to help with keeping the tank clean?
I have a hang on canister filter that has 5 different sponges and media balls on the bottom, but I still have alot of gunk that settles on top of my sand.

NO FISH. Unless they are food. Snails are OK if they are small and have soft shells (pond snails). Almost any shrimp that get added will end up injured or eaten, so it's your choice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back