Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Appropriate Set Up?

R

rafael

Hi folks!

I'm new to the axolotl club, but would love to keep some. I have set up a pond (I know this idea in general has not received rave reviews) and I am wondering if it will be safe and non-lethal to keep axolotls in. The pond set up is as follows:

two separate bodies of water one a 20 gallon bucket with a small pour spout over a 125 gallon two tiered pond liner (10 inch shelf with 2 foot deep center). I plan to have water pumped up from the 125 gallon into the bucket such that the water pours out of the bucket into the pond liner. This whole set up is shaded by a deck attached to the upstairs apartment.

My specific concerns are as follows:

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (average temperature ranges from 50-70 degrees fahrenheit over the whole year). With additional shading measures (such as strategically placed flat stones) will I be able to keep the temperature in check?

If I place the axolotls in the 20 gallon bucket, will they swim over the edge? (I intend to keep the force of the water flow to a minimum by poking lots of holes in the tubing.) There should only be a trickle of water at any time but still do axolotls escape when given the opportunity? Would they climb to escape?

Those are my two biggest concerns. Any other input or feedback would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance,
Rafael

R

rafael

Hey guys. Still Rafael, just posting with my new fancy schmancy account.

G

grant

No axolotls are fully aquatic animals and cannot fully support their body weight with their tiny legs. I live over by SanFran and sometimes the summer days can get pretty hot and the winters pretty cold. I wouldn't recommend they live outside. The weather can change pretty dramatically pretty quick to so that just adds to the stress. Also, you may have some trouble finding axies. They are illegal in California although some pet stores will order them for you. But I would not recommend an outside pond, they should be in water from about 63-72 degrees.

B

brian

If nothing else, I think it would be too warm for them. Indoor ponds are an excellent idea for them though, if you can swing them. Lots of space, shallow water large volume.

G

grant

Indoor ponds are awesome!! I'm wanting to get one soon if my girlfriend will let me!! But yea it would be to warm in the summers and to cold in the winters.

J

jennifer

They are fine at colder temps. Mine were raised at about 50F. They won't climb out, but they could "flow" out during a very hard rain.

To me, it all sounds quite feasible. Try to build it as large as possible, as this would stabilize it against temperature changes. I'd suggest keeping the pond running for several weeks and monitor the water temp before thinking about putting in axies.

Also, think about local predators. Could anything eat them? Cats probably couldn't get them that deep. Dark colored axies would be less likely to be seen.

(Message edited by jennewt on June 04, 2005)

G

grant

In the winter it will probably get in the 40 degrees for sure. And sometimes there are days in the summer in SanFran that get up to around 90, so I would say you can try it but although the average temp may be okay for them the temps do vary a lot in that area.

R

rafael

Well for now I'm just going to see how the pond develops with just plants and some mosquito fish to keep insect populations down. I've got a spare 20 gallon long tank that isn't deep enough to run the salt-water set up I had in mind, so I think that'll be my axie home. Sounds like it'll be much safer for everyone that way. Who knows, maybe the pond will turn out to be axie friendly, but first I've got to see about the temperatures and the raccoons.

Now only to find a place that sells axies. Grant, where'd you get yours? The local reptile store, the east bay vivarium, claimed to have some available but I didn't see any in the store when I went.

Rafael

J

jennifer

Rafael, that sounds like a good course of action. Monitor the water temp over a period of time. I wouldn't rule out keeping axies outdoors.

If I were you, I'd talk to a manager at East Bay Vivarium. If they only get them occasionally, you might need to be on a waiting list, or maybe they are only available by special order.

J

jennifer

I happened to stumble upon this today in the axolotl caresheet:
"In the wild, the water temperature in Xochimilco rarely rises above 20°C (68°F), though it may fall to 6 or 7°C (43°F) in the winter, and perhaps lower."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1