Axolotl babies dying...help anyone?

mimozine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
The first of my eggs hatched about 3 days ago. When the hatched I moved them to another container. I have been feeding them baby brine shrimp and changing water everyday, but by today they were all dead. Any ideas why? What am I doing wrong. Two more babies hatched today and I still have a lot of eggs with different stages of development, so I could do with some help guys and girls.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may help Why larvae die

I already asked you the most obvious questions. And you've answered them all here.
I'm not sure whats going on!
Hope the other ones are ok for you!!

Mel

is there still another thread about your babies? Can you post the link, please? It would be unnecessary to ask (and answer) the same questions here again.;)

Are you rinsing the baby brine? I did everything you said...changed water with new de-chlorinated cool water....the baby brine I strained through a coffee filter and then rinsed in the same coffee filter with dechlorinated water. I was so freaked out that the salt was going to hurt the babies! :( I fed mine twice a day, pretty much doing water changes each time, both in the morning and at night....honestly, I was slightly obsessive! :eek: I hope your other babies do better for you!

When they die all of a sudden like that, it's usually due to infection. In addition to changing the water every day, also move them to a clean container every day. Also be sure that you aren't putting in too much brine shrimp. Better luck next time!

hi guys. yeah have been filtering brine shrimp and then putting them in dechlorinated water before feeding.
thanks for the input on infection will give that a try. have 6 new hatchlings now hope they survive

mine are 2 weeks now today i had 6 dead one,s WHY? are they not eating the dried shrimp brine any other idea.s would help i change part water every day HELP!!:confused:

Helena
Babies wont eat anything that doesn't move.
You need live brine shrimp.

Mel

Hi all Got 43 babies hatched now, only a couple of casualties but they looked malformed so I expected it. More still to hatch. and here is the thing, more eggs laid in tank yesterday. Do they lay more than one lot of eggs or do I have several different mothers? Is it usual for eggs laid at same time to hatch over many days?:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya
Fred laid twice within 4 weeks in the spring so it could be the same mother, but if you have more than one female they do tend to lay around the same time.

Yes they can take different lengths of time to hatch. I have some that hatched thursday and some still waiting to hatch that were all laid at the same time.

Mel

Its also good to make sure you dont get any brine egg shells in there. My babies are 2 weeks old since hatching and getting big. Daily water changes, brine shrimp, and blackworms from the start...they are really cute when they get a piece of worm and shake thier tiny head. GOOD LUCK!!

I am sorry you are having problems with the babies! I am new to this site and am trying to learn as much as I possibly can before I get some! I found this link that may help you out.
Axolotls - Rearing from Egg to Adult

You might know all of this, but it can't hurt!

Good luck!
Tahnee

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back