Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl bite/not eating

Darlalowe

Reaction score
ANY HELP NEEDED/APPRECIATED PLEASE!
I posted about this nov 14 but it has since gotten worse. My female axolotl got bit by my other axolotl on nov 14 on her mouth. Now it is dec 6 and she is not improving. I started tea baths but they didn’t do much it seemed(may start them again). The bite seems to have gotten infected but I cannot tell. She has since stopped eating(I have tried everything from different pellets, chicken, steak, earthworms, bloodworms). She either spits it out or is horrified at the food I give her and she was already underweight before. So any suggestions on what it is or how to get her to eat? I attached 3 pictures picture 3 is today, picture 2 is nov 17, and picture 1 is nov 14 when it happened.

Attachments

• 4CEC9C58-0BE5-4322-8ECC-C192D51A0FED.jpeg
    4CEC9C58-0BE5-4322-8ECC-C192D51A0FED.jpeg
    515.1 KB · Views: 505
  • C6FDD392-DCAF-41CC-9A91-09AF4276F589.jpeg
    C6FDD392-DCAF-41CC-9A91-09AF4276F589.jpeg
    577 KB · Views: 90
  • 8C10768C-4A3E-48FF-A0B1-BF2622B5AFF1.jpeg
    8C10768C-4A3E-48FF-A0B1-BF2622B5AFF1.jpeg
    502.4 KB · Views: 86

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
ANY HELP NEEDED/APPRECIATED PLEASE!
I posted about this nov 14 but it has since gotten worse. My female axolotl got bit by my other axolotl on nov 14 on her mouth. Now it is dec 6 and she is not improving. I started tea baths but they didn’t do much it seemed(may start them again). The bite seems to have gotten infected but I cannot tell. She has since stopped eating(I have tried everything from different pellets, chicken, steak, earthworms, bloodworms). She either spits it out or is horrified at the food I give her and she was already underweight before. So any suggestions on what it is or how to get her to eat? I attached 3 pictures picture 3 is today, picture 2 is nov 17, and picture 1 is nov 14 when it happened.
i am by no means a vet but can see you’re desperate for answers
however, i think it’s definitely time for vet consultation

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1