Axolotl broken bones

AxieFrankie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys! My axolotl, called Frankie appears to have broken the bone on her front right leg. It doesn’t seem to be growing back and I don’t know how to help her. And I don’t really want to cut it off because she is missing her front left leg, but I will if that’s the only solution. I need help and knowledge like: Is it causing her pain? Will it regrow back properly? If it will, what will help it regrow faster? I’m really worried for my Frankie and I need help. Please help me.
I have attached some photos of the injury and if you can help, please do. (Sorry if they are a bit blurry, I am having trouble with my camera).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,956
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 237
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 159
I'm sorry that the Frankie died (I presume so since you have not responded to any of us who are actually concerned about the Frankie), not for your loss since you never did anything good for her, but one thing that would have helped your axolotl out a lot would have been properly caring for your axolotl. As you have learned through your continuous torturing of your pet, axolotls don't really do well with their health when they are stressed out and the temperatures of the water are too hot. Instead, injuries like that with the combined temperature lead to bacterial infections which lead to health issues such as hyperthermia and the axolotl, as you witnessed in your own case, rots away. This is incredibly painful for the axolotl.

Since you were aware the temperatures were too high, you were also aware when you got the Frankie that the ideal temperatures were 16-19C for an axolotl. As you were well aware of this, your refusal to pursue immediate action led to the animal's ongoing suffering and cruelty. I know you might be ignoring us because we seem judgmental, but when you're asking for help on an axolotl forum with other axolotl and animal lovers, you should be well aware that no one in this world appreciates ongoing animal abuse that is deliberate in nature. And as one of your posts admits, you knew the temperature was too high.

I hope you never own another axolotl again but if the Frankie was still alive, one thing a genuinely concerned axolotl owner would have done is fixed everything to make things as comfortable for the axolotl as possible which would have promoted good health and regeneration. In your case, the temperatures were the obvious elephant in the room and even though you were aware the temperatures were too high for your axolotl, you persisted in keeping her in them anyway. The horrors that the Frankie went through really upset me and it upset many people on this forum. Had you not tortured her, your animal may have even recovered from its injury.

Again, I hate to sound judgmental, but your comments really speak not of an ignorant first-time axolotl owner who is trying to find legitimate answers but rather as someone who knew that their animal was suffering under its living conditions and yet never bothered to even fix those conditions. It is frustrating and painful to see any animal go through what the Frankie did and I hope that no other axolotl will have to suffer like the Frankie did ever again.

Is the dark coloration on the toes normal. Im a new axolotl owner and ive never noticed that before. Mine doesnt have them but mine is still very small

Is the dark coloration on the toes normal. Im a new axolotl owner and ive never noticed that before. Mine doesnt have them but mine is still very small
If you read the OP's other threads, you will find that their axolotl was kept at excruciatingly lethal temperatures all the time the OP had it...it's doubtful that it's still alive. OP's axolotl was suffering from long-term abuse and improper care. It was NOT a healthy axolotl...unfortunately.

That said, this thread here will address your question:

While the Frankie was never healthy due to its continuous abuse, black toes are an indicator of maturity in pale axolotls.

I have been following Franky's story and this is honestly breaking my heart.
I am still a beginner in raising axolotl and I was not ready and prepared for all the requirements to own an axolotl in the best conditions.
Netherless, I carried out my responsabilities and I don't count how many times I came home after work to find something was looking wrong.
I am in Japan and summer goes pretty hot, I couldn't keep up anymore at keeping the water cool enough.
Seeing Franky's story I decided that my savings will definitely go in a chiller for the aquarium.
I received it today, it's absolutely life changing for me and for my babies.
At the very least, Franky's death reminded me that we are responsible for these small animals from the moment we decide to own them, if we don't want to spend the time, energy or money, then this is on us.

I have been following Franky's story and this is honestly breaking my heart.
I am still a beginner in raising axolotl and I was not ready and prepared for all the requirements to own an axolotl in the best conditions.
Netherless, I carried out my responsabilities and I don't count how many times I came home after work to find something was looking wrong.
I am in Japan and summer goes pretty hot, I couldn't keep up anymore at keeping the water cool enough.
Seeing Franky's story I decided that my savings will definitely go in a chiller for the aquarium.
I received it today, it's absolutely life changing for me and for my babies.
At the very least, Franky's death reminded me that we are responsible for these small animals from the moment we decide to own them, if we don't want to spend the time, energy or money, then this is on us.
I wish there was a heart button. That was beautifully written.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back